wiring?

can I have regular romax run from inside my house to a romax connector on the back side of a weather proof box,I want to have a outside receptacle,it seems there is regular nm romax run to the outside lights,is this the same?the weather proof box would be flush with my house siding.i suppose i could silicone it as well,thankyou in advance.

Reply to
A C

Should be fine as long as the romex isn't exposed.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

there is most likely a chance rain water will go behind the box,will that be ok?,when you say exposed do you mean to water?

Reply to
A C

I would worry a lot more about the water getting into the house than it getting into the box.. Most inspectors are OK with Romex serving a box mounted directly on an outside wall, as long as the wire goes straight into the box from inside. If it is running down the outside of the wall, even in conduit, it needs to be a wet location wire. You do need to caulk around the box to stop water intrusion,

Reply to
gfretwell

thats true water in the outside wall,the receptacle i need is for a generator,and ive heard about outside wires,this wire would need to be 10awg,thats a big hole.

Reply to
A C

Here's a tip:

Wall | | Box | | ----| | | | / | |/ < Hole at downward angle | /| | / | | | | ----| | | |

Since the sheathing may be only ~ 1/2" thick, this is not a "cure-all". You still need to caulk the hole. But exterior wall penetrations should always be made at a downward angle.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

nice trick Ed thankyou,,my main concern was that the inside wire/used outside, would get wet and may be exposed to weather and rot away.I have seen romax inside pvc conduit outside with romax. its been there many years,with no damage. I can see underground being trouble.If a person wanted to install a receptacle in a second floor bedroom and had to run pvc conduit from basement out and up to say an air conditioner receptacle that is back inside,what would work for that?

Reply to
Albert Albert

: : Here's a tip: : : Wall : | | : Box | | : ----| | : | | / : | |/ < Hole at downward angle : | /| : | / | : | | | : ----| | : | | : : Since the sheathing may be only ~ 1/2" thick, this is not : a "cure-all". You still need to caulk the hole. But : exterior wall penetrations should always be made at a : downward angle. : : Ed

Damn! I KNEW I forgot something! Next spring; too cold now!

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Another 'trick' I've learned is to drill a hole in the bottom side of the box. Unless you think water is going to get up that high. But in that case you have flooding damage anyway. Point is, if any water *does* find it's way into the box, you would prefer it find a way out again before it fills up the box.

One job I worked had a problem with water running down inside the conduit and accumulating in the box, eventually filling up to the terminals and started some nasty corrosion problems and grounds.

Although I suppose this ruins the box's 'waterproof' rating, I don't think all outside outlets/fixtures have to be 'waterproof', just 'weatherproof'.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

My problem was with the inside wire/romax running outside to the back of the box.It would run straight into the box from cellar,seems like its outside.But i guess thats ok,

Reply to
Albert Albert

THHN. (That's the wire that is inside the Romex sheathing.) Or just put romex in the conduit if that's what you have. The PVC provides the necessary protection.

You also might want to consider using liguidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, like this:

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Damn Dude with a Name like Kilovolt [is it?} one would think you know these things };-) Only Residential Considerations Apply.

[about 120vac 15-20A]

Of Course you can a make the run with NM Multiple Conductor Cable (Romex=99 or UF) the Idea Is: it has to be kept safe from Physical Damage either by the Bldg. Structure, Employing Aditional Conduit & underground depth quidelines or Adequate Protection through-out the Installation if you are running a long way from the Bldg. Since you are not going Underground; Your Weather Proofing Scheme is Sound Enough an Installaio...Oh! Plus: Any Outlet on your Outside Wall must be GFCI Protected.

" Happy Holidays to You All "

Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

thankyou,,the name is kilavolt,,not kilovolt... thanks again

Reply to
A C