9v speed regulator

Would it be fair to say that it would be a LM7809 9v voltage regulator, a potentiometer, and an on/off switch?

Of course, that is an over-simplification.

Reply to
Wayne

From above:

What are the electrical limits of 9V trains?

From Simon Robinson: !

The controller supplies a variable voltage. As you move the speed regulater from zero to the first of the 6 marks the voltage jumps up to about 3V. It then increases linearly up to about 9V for the maximum speed.

The motor power unit has a resistance of 8.7 ohms, so at maximum speed, it's using about an amp, which works out to 9 watts of power.

For a typical controller, expect:

Open Circuit With Train Running Internal Resistance Full Power 9.24V 9.04V 0.09 ohms Minimum Speed 2.99V 2.99V 0.02 ohms

Maybe the above helps?

If not, try asking on Lugnet in the Trains forum.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

Actually, that does. It tells me that the voltage regulator is something like an LM317.

I have not been able to post there for about 2 weeks now. I changed my email address via the setup page, and since then nothing.

Reply to
Wayne

Unfortunately, it's my opinion that Lugnet is largely dying. The web interface was state of the art, when Lugnet was introduced, but has largely remained unchanged ever since.

The space fans have all left with many going to Classic Space .com. Perhaps there are some good LEGO Train web forums?

Actually, this newsgroup is pretty much dead, but I keep an eye on it just the same. Nostalgia mostly. I was one of the people who was there when alt.toys.lego was created (the first LEGO online forum of any kind that I know of). Then rec.toys.lego was created a few years later (since rec groups generally have wider distribution than alt groups). It's funny to be an "old timer" and still be under 40 years old. ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley