Problems downloading Programs

When downloading the programs to the brick via the USB IR Tower, I get the following message:
COMPILE FAILED NO (OR INVALID) REPLY FROM RCX
I have a RCX 1.0 and I am using Windows ME. The connection of the USB IR Tower to the brick seems to be fine because I can download the FIRMWARE without a problem. I also changed the batteries in the RCX but no joy.
Any help will be welcome