Science Research

We have 2 lego mindstorm kits. We have RIS 2.0 and also Robolab 2.5 software. My daughter is trying to think of a science research project to do. She has 5 weeks to conduct the research. Does anyone have an idea of something that would be a good topic using Mindstorms? She is 17 and Junior in High School. I was thinking about testing different batteries including rechargeables to see which one last longer or is most consistend or has this been done before?

Thanks,

Linda

Reply to
Linda

The battery test project has been overdone.

I consider Robotics to be more engineering related than science related.

You might try something like watching bugs walk and try to emulate that - it's a field called "Biomimicry".

Or you could try to design a rover suspension that can handle strange obstacles (like a mars rover might require).

Reply to
Neb Okla

What about building a weather station? You know: barometer (no ideas), thermometer (sensor), pluviometer (something floating and a light sensor, or??) etc. She could log the readings and make a report.

Tine

Reply to
Tine Andersen

Thanks, Neb.

Do you happen to have a link to battery tests?

Linda

Reply to
Linda

I'd say there are a zillion science projects she could do. After all, we're not trying to conduct original research here.

For example, she could develop hypothesis about the speed of a "roverbot" with different size wheels and then measure them.

Similarly, she could hypothesize their towing power. Think of a scale that is measured by pulling on a hook connected to a spring. Hook the robot to the scale and see which wheels pull the most weight. How do various surfaces (wood floor, carpet etc) affect the weight. How about wet surfaces? Or having six wheels instead of 4.

This stuff has been done. I hope the real goal is that she find the project interesting. Good luck.

Reply to
Rex Macey