Adjusting a Jackson 1285 exit device

Hi, All!

Is there a way to adjust a Jackson 1285 concealed vertical rod exit device so it works better, hopefully without taking the door down? Half the time when people press on the push plate, the door opens but the bolts don't stay retracted. When the door tries to close, the bottom bolt hits the threshold and the door stays ajar.

I just was given 2 of these doors to maintain, and other than taking the doors down and taking everything apart, I don't see any way to get them to work right. I'd like to avoid that if possible!

I'm the locksmith for MUNI, the public transportation utility here in San Francisco, but I've never worked on Jackson exit devices before.

Thanks for any help, advice, suggestions, alternate devices that fit in the same holes, anecdotes, gripes, complaints, stories, or just friendly banter on this topic!

Lee

Reply to
Lee Most

LOL.. NO clues.. but.. going by a Monarch OPEN the door.. and run your hand on the BOTTOM of the door, see if the bolt IS actually dragging? can you easily push it up? is there a plate on the EDGE of the door at the bottom? if so, take that off and see if there is a missing busing, broken, or an adjustment there?

while the door IS open.. stand at the end and attempt to pick the door up by the outer edge, IF it moves UP, bet the UPPER pivot hinge part is loose OR wore..

part deux..

assuming there is a 'panic bar' across the door on the inside..>???

take it off, and see if anything in there has excessive wear? after visible here only..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Try removing the upper rod guide and then screw the rod down a little. This should do the trick.

On Jackson's, the upper rod guide dogs the rods until it hits the stop. So you want to be sure that the stop is adjusted correctly also.

Even if you have to take the door down it is not a big project.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf