anyone in UK who specialises in used locks?

I'm renting a room in a multi-occupied house, and would like to replace the lock on my room door, as I don't know who has keys to the present one. The problem is, my landlord's not very sympathetic about this, and might evict me if I do (and as he lives on the premises, he could easily do this).

So I'd like to find a used lock that's a bit old-looking, and so will blend with the finger-plate of the door and not be noticeable. The type I need is an 'oval thumbturn cylinder', brass finish.

They're not that common, I'm told, so is there anywhere in the UK I can try?

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
viv hughes
Loading thread data ...

Go visit a locksmith, we replace these things on a regular basis, I throw old cylinders in a scrap bin, some have keys some don't. I'd be only too happy to sell you something cheap that cost me nothing.

Reply to
scabby dug

If you change the lock your landlord is likely to find out. What happens the first time he or she goes to use their key and it doesn't work? What is the landlords rationale for not letting you change or rekey the lock? An idea which has been suggested here before is to, with the landlords permission have the lock changed or rekeyed and give the landlord a key sealed in a laminating pouch or other tamper evident enclosure. The landlord has access but you also have a way to know if the key has been used. The landlord who won't agree to this likely enjoys snooping around when you are not home.

Reply to

Landlords have a legitimate need for access in case of emergency (eg, your plumbing springs a leak). If you don't give 'em a key, they can and WILL charge you for any damage caused by the delay or by having to force their way in, and the courts will undoubtedly support them.

Generally, the right answer is to rekey the place (to lock out past tenants) and to give the landlord the new key (so as not to lock them out). If you don't want them walking in for anything less than an emergency, the tamper-resistant-container solution is the simplest one... assuming they're amenable to it.

Some won't be. It's then up to you to decide whether you trust them or not. If you don't, your only safe recourse is to move elsewhere.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Building demolition yards often have heaps of old locks, some with keys.

Reply to

This is really a strange thing in your country. Here in Germany absolutely nobody has the right to enter your rooms when you are not at home. In case of emergency just someone is called to open your door, a locksmith or the fire brigade, and when it was not your fault or when there was no need for a forceful entry (maybe someone is worried because you do not pick up the phone and thinks you are lying on the floor and need help, but in fact you are just out for shopping) it is not your problem, someone else has to pay for the damage.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Oval cylinders are still fairly popular in the UK, although not as popular now as the Euro profile. They are sometimes known as a 'UK Oval' cylinder. Just specify that you want a thumb turn, rather than keyed both sides. Every UK lock maufacturer makes them. Failing that, try a builders merchants such as Jewsons, Travis Perkins etc. Don't go to HomeBase/B&Q etc. - they don't stock them.

Having said that, any decent locksmith will be able to order one for you and probably will have an old one knocking about somewhere if you want to present a "it's-always-been-there" look.

With regard to the right of your landlord entering your room, check you agreement carefully. Whilst there is a legal basis to do this, the circumstances are very limited and unless s/he could show that there was a need to enter to save life or prevent serious damage to property, you could sue for trespass.

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.