Battery drill for deadbolts

Anyone having success using a battery drill for installing deadbolts in wood and metal doors. I cant seem to get mine to do the job. I use the kwikset jig(it does cause a tiny bit of extra drag) but no drill I have will make the holes on just one battery charge. I purchased a sears 19.2 that was supposed to have long run life but it wont do it either. No problems using my corded drill so I know its not the bits. Any info appreciated

Reply to
Ros

Sears doesn't make it's own power tools. A lot of Sears battery drills are made by Ryobi. Ryobi as a brand is okay but the Ryobi battery drills I had didn't last long drilling wood and metal doors. Last year I bought a Sears 18 volt drill (made by DeWalt) that has good speed and lots of torque (could be just as or more important than speed). I've probably drilled out 100 doors since I got it and it's still going strong. You might want to go to a place that rents power tools and try a few until you find the one you like - the cost is minimal.

Some of the locksmiths around here bought battery powered hammer drills of various voltage and seem to like them.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I've never tried. My biggest cordless is only a 3/8 chuck, I think. Anyhow, it won't take the big ripper bit.

I'd suggest to use the cord drill. Unless you are at a remote hunting camp, and then bring a generator.

If you want to keep at it, rock the bit side to side, so the bit's not in contact with the door the whole way around.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was an apprentice the SOP to install deadbolts was a brace and bit. This worked fine.

I have a corded Milwaukee Magnum 1/2 inch drill with the removable cord. I have a reel extension cord that I have riveted to the side of my tool box to give me an easy 25 feet of power. Only once I have been on a job where I had to supply my own power and then I was able to get the truck close enough to plug the drill into the inverter. I would spend the tool budget on something else.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I use a Bosch 24volt with a 1/2 chuck and fit locks all day with it (three batteries) no problems at all.

Paul

Reply to
oldlock

If you really need more power, there's another option: Gel cell battery,

12V-to-120V 300W inverter, and an ordinary plug-in tool.
Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I'm using a Porter/Cable hammerdrill; my main complaint with it is that it's an orphan -- they changed voltages, then changed again almost immediately, and nothing in their current product line will share batteries with this one. I'm sure they've got an updated version, but as long as this one works...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

If you unscrew the battery packs, you will find that they have rather generic cells inside you can replace a whole lot cheaper than buying new packs.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

sweet talk the parts dept for the info, and SOMETIMES the salesmen can look it up.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

You ask.

Reply to
Skip

Yes, I have the Milwaukee 18volt hammer drill/drill. It will almost always go through on one battery. Even through hardwood doors (solid core) and metal frame. On residential doors, I can usually get 2 doors completed with one battery. I love my Milwaukee. Have had it for almost

2 years and its never let me down.

Jack Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack

Get the Hitachi 18 volt and use it on slow speed. It will happily drive that kwikset self feeding bit, just hang on tight. I have run 5 or 6 holes on one battery charge, but it comes with 2 batteries and they only take 20 min to charge.

Reply to
Absinthe