Best Lube

A building near me has a whole lot of Best core locks. Most of them mounted the usual vertical (bible on top, so the notched side of the key is at

12:00). Some are leversets, which means horizontal keyway.

Personally, I like graphite when I can use it in the truck. Then, I can tip the cylinder upside down, or put graphite in while I have the plug out. But, what's a good lubricant when the locks are all installed, vertical?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Personal bias: Silicone microsphere lubes. Apply wet; carrier fluid evaporates and you're left with a very thin layer of tiny ball bearings. Nothing to retain dust or moisture, lubes well, stays put well.

Graphite is always a religious debate. Used _properly_ -- an extremely light dusting -- it's fine, and it should distribute itself well enough to work on the "vertical" locks as well. But many folks are ham-handed with it, which defeats the purpose.

I don't have to tell you not to use anything even vaguely sticky, right? <grin/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

agree, however,WD washes itself with every use. I have never had a real problem with it in 24+ years of its use. again, "use wd-40 (more of a cleaner then a lube) to wash out any trash/dirt and then use a teflon type lube" but, I will go with contact cleaner to clean and almost any silicone based spray to lube.

g'day

Reply to
Key

I've never been dissatisfied with wd40, but it sure does have its detractors here on the internet.

Reply to
billb

WD40 to smooth things up when picking a problem lock. LPS-1 greaseless lubricant for mild weather exterior locks. LockEase graphited lock fluid for interior office locks.

LAB makes a good Teflon lock fluid (a bit pricey)...

Medeco and some other mfgs have specific lubes for use with their products (warranty)...

Reply to
Bogus

yea, considering the length of time myself and many others have used it for many different applications, wd-40 speakes for itself.

Reply to
Key