Broken lock on my car door...

Hi,

Maybe you all can help. I hope!

I have a '95 Mazda 626. The drivers side lock was feeling a little "rusty" so I went to put a little teflon lube in it. It's been sitting outside in Ohio and not getting used regularly. When I stuck the little nozzle into the key hole, I noticed that the retractible plate that seals the keyhole was missing. Either I knocked it off, or it fell off.

Now, the key won't go in the lock.

Any ideas how to fix this? If I can't fix it, how much will it cost to have professionally done?

THANKS!!!!

sb

Reply to
Steve B

Steve,

It sounds like the shutter may have fallen off and the nozzle from the lube can or the key pushed it down into the keyway. You might take a small flashlight and look into the keyway and see if you can see it. If you can see it you might be able to work it out with a piece of coping saw or scroll saw blade. The flat part of the blade (the part with no teeth) has to be broken off and make sure the teeth are pointing back towards you. Just don't push it in farther. If you don't feel comfortable trying this drive to a locksmith and see if he wants to tackle it. Good luck with it.

Leon Rowell

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

a little

been

When I stuck

retractible

knocked it off, or

will it cost

Steve, sounds like the dust cover will have to be removed and then maybe replaced. to answer your question. our charge for that type job would be $50.00 plus parts. to R&R door lock and repair. prices may very depending on your geographical location.

happy holidays

Reply to
"Key

The plastic dust shutter breaks and either finds its way into the lock or falls down into the drain hole. It's pretty common on Mazdas of that vintage

Either fish it out insitu as Leon has advised or remove the lock cylinder and disassemble it yourself or take it to a lockie.

Your lock, your call....

ahl

Reply to
ahl

Fixed it!

I peered in with a flashlight, and saw the cover just kind of hanging out in front of the lock. I used a saw blade and a zip tie (both small and narrow) to try to get the cover out of the way, and it jst fell into the door and disappeared.

In any event, it's fixed for the time being. Thanks for all of your help.

Best,

sb

Reply to
Steve B

Note that without that cover, the lock may be more vulnerable to weather

-- specifically, at this time of year, ice.

If you're willing to risk having to climb across from the passenger side, you could gamble with this... but in your position, I'd probably get it fixed. (Of course my car's got a floor shifter, so sliding across is a particularly obnoxious task.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam