Key blank recognition

In a recent thread it was suggested that key blank recognition is a good basic skill. That being the case, are there any good sites online for learning this skill? I don't need automotive, but I do need everything else. And not just recognizing the blank, but also knowing the brand/keyway by eyeing the cylinder.

Reply to
FacMan

ilco key book... has a 'end view' of waht the poening in the cylinder would look like...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Unfortunately you can't learn *everything* 'online'. Call a distributor and request or purchase a key reference book. I like Silca's, Shiva recommends Ilco's

Have a look at the locks on display at your local hardware store. Look at the key head for any distinctive features. Look at the 'end on' profile of a key and how it corresponds to the cylinder. Look for how the milling finishes at the bow of the key.

Regards ahl

Reply to
ahl

I think its a regional thing... My supplier has Ilco, with limited Silica... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

FacMan:

Get your own copy of a key blank reference book... They are the size of a small phonebook but much much more useful...

Or you could learn how to identify keyblanks the way I did, by working in a hardware store evenings and weekends while going to high school and making thousands upon thousands of keys in four and a half years...

Evan

Reply to
Evan

Often, but not always, useful. There are "neuter bow" keys (the head of a key is officially known as the bow) which deliberately don't give any hints about which locks they're intended to fit, and there are locks which similarly decline to display the manufacturer's information.

That's one of my favorite tricks for comparing two keys. The milling is generally done with rotary cutters, which means it gradually gets shallower at the bow -- and that slope effectively "enlarges" the shape of the groove, making differences easier to see.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

recognition is a good

online for

need everything else.

brand/keyway by

a length of 59 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 23 characters:
g'day

Reply to
"Key

recognition is a good

sites online for

need everything else.

brand/keyway by

the

also, the genericode key code program,

an 'end view' of the keys. sure there are other key code programs as well..

my2

Reply to
"Key

Sounds like fun, but I'm a bit old for that gig. ;-)

Reply to
FacMan

Only $695, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

hey, one has to pay to play :-)

happy holidays all

Reply to
"Key

why do you need to do this prior to actually doing work. Different regions in our country use different keyways in abundance. What I mean is this, here in Florida I have never seen an arrow lock, never! but in Boston they are everywhere. In Boston I saw a lot of Corbin/ Russwin but not in CA when I worked there. Just start to do some C/C's & you will recognize keyways in no time flat, the keyways that you need to know!

-just my 50 cents worth-

Reply to
Jeff

Knowledge is power

Reply to
FacMan

It will also vary drastically depending on what kind of work you do residential, commercial, auto, bank, etc.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I would recommend the Ilco, not discounting the silca as I've never looked at one.There are sites online where you can order one without too much trouble.

Ralph.

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood