"Butterfly knob" safe locks...

ok we looked it up for you and i learned something in the process. there are 3 lubes that s&g recommends the G322L versilube formerly made by GE now made by Novaguard...dow corning metal paste....arrowshell 22 which is what the factory is now using, it is an aviation lube made by shell oil. and as I understand it Timemasters stocks it.

Reply to
todd

todd wrote: > you never sent me an email about a fax # for the govt spec

Recieving faxes is a bit complicated for me; I have to fire up the PC's fax-modem and shut down the answering machine, so basically it only happens for special purposes and at odd hours. (I used to have a better solution running under OS/2, but sic transit Gloria's Monday.)

There's another fax I could have stuff sent to, but that has its own complications -- basically a matter of who owes who a favor -- so I'm somewhat reluctant to do it that way.

And most of that spec is sorta offtopic for my immediate needs; as I say, I'm currently concerned with maintaining one that's basically working despite many years of neglect, and I'm not immediately concerned with maintaining GSA rating.

BTW, I don't think anyone happened to answer whether this thing is key-change or hand-change. I seem to remember a change index on the dial, but as I say, it's been a long time since I looked at one.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

key change mosler is the only gsa lock i can think of that used a hand change

Reply to
todd

Hm. I'm told the label says "M-6730-MP".

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Tell me about it. All those people who think 1% of maple syrup added to sugar syrup is good enough... <sigh/>

(For those who don't know: Grade-B maple syrup have less sugar, but more maple flavor, than Grade-A. Good stuff, well worth the cost, but hard to find unless you're in an area where sugar maples are common. I haven't found Grade-C yet.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

u could download the standard in .pdf too...

might be neater & quicker than fax.

See

to search for MIL- FED- and QQ- DoD/Gov't standards and specifications in general.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

Thought it went Grage A (Light, Medium & Dark Amber) then Grade B -- though Grade C is possible. (My memory's not what it was -- or so they tell me, I don't really recall!) Each step is darker and stronger flavored at a given %sugar (%solids?) The lightest comes earliest in the sap run and it darkens to the end. Grading is by comparison for color to standards in small vials. Around here A Medium and A Dark seem to be the common ones.

For safes (and locks) graphite powder washed in with/ WD-40 w/ a little

3-> > I prefer Canadian grade "C" syrup, which
Reply to
The Masked Marvel

so will 2 gallons of floor stripper solution poured through the dial.. in a floor safe.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks for the pointers. Yeah, for me electronic form is easier to handle than fax.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Floor _sealant_ isn't any better. Nor is coke syrup. I've not dealt with either, but I've heard tales...

I wonder if anyone makes a gasketed cover for floor safes which provides some protection against that sort of abuse. If not, that's a Market Opportunity for some ambitious soul...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

BTW, S&G has some decent customer-level usage sheets available on their website -- basic instructions for dialing and combo changing -- along with some parts lists and so on. Plus product catalog and retail price sheets.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Some of the tubular i.e. round door ones come with a large plug which fits into the very top of the tube body above the dial/lift out door. Star comes to mind. It will keep out water, contaminants etc.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I posted him a link to a .gov site for serching and D/Ling MIL- FED- and QQ- specs/standards, so I expect he got it from there.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

the m-6730 mp is the early model of the 8400 .for the most part the same lock. a rare find to see one still in service

Reply to
todd

thanks, I know he had problems receiving faxes. but my point was it sucks to spend 20 min. looking up facts and they dont seem to be appreciated, no harm no foul he got the info he needed

Reply to
todd

Hmmm. Maybe I ought to offer to replace it simply to add it to my collection. <smile/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Definitely appreciated; it's just more detail than I could easily take advantage of.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

you collect????

got an S&G the BOX says..8410 - TOR D41-S&G- B/W DR162 B/W

the papers say.. Sargent and Greenleaf Adjusta-Loc

the papers were revised 5/78..

it IS an MP series lock-so it says on the case.

it does have the little 'butterfly' in the middle of the dial ring..

if you NEED this, for your collection, holler..

its new, BTW. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Perhaps it would be truer to say I accumulate. I'm not a serious collector, but I pick up and hold onto interesting samples when I can do so cheaply.

The shelf opposite my desk has a mounted Mosler MR301 (group 1R), and another Mosler with its matching painted face-plate from circa 1884. (Some cosmetic damage, which is why it was cheap, but it's still a nice bit of functional artwork.) There are a few other items floating around the place; not all of them got unboxed last time I moved.

So, no, I don't "need" a sample of the Adjusta-Loc. Would consider adopting it if it's looking for a home, though. If you want to quote me a price, we can take this offline.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman