De Greaser

Are you talking to me? I said, are you talking to me? I'll have to introduce you to De Greaser.

When an old or new lock is full of dried grease, I really like ether (starting spray) for degreaser. I know it's not the designed use for the product, but it really loosens up old grease. Somtimes, I need to degrease before I can relubricate. Just spraying on some new lube doesn't help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I confess, I am a gadget person.. and do a lot of OLD lock cylinders.. like 50 year old stuff..

Ether is good, and so is brake cleaner-OUTSIDE>.

but, for the old locks, Harbor Freight has a 1 pint capacity ultrasonic cleaner. its NOT one of these with a vibrator that 'shakes' the container 'its sound..

stuck some 53 car locks in it, added hot water and some heavy duty dish washing soap-hit the start button.. think its a 2 or 3 minute cycle.. it was amazing the stuff that just walked off the lock bodies.. PLUS the black gunk too.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Neat thought. I think jewelry people use ultrasound for cleaning jewelry. I clean my wrist watch band with dish soap, and an old tooth brush. Some of those old locks are much better quality what we have today.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:rKN9e.3682$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

---snip---

try the old tooth brush and tooth paste.

Reply to
Key

I think I've got tube of striped paste. it's all over the counter, cause I can't quite get it back into the tube. Might be the use I'd been seeking.

At the moment, it's dried, in the form of a volcano, and makes a good tooth brush holder.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My parents are both Jewelers, and I can say Ultrasonics work real well for a lot of cleaning needs. The specialized Ultrasonic fluids can be good when you need something that is not harsly abrasive like most cleaners or soaps.

Reply to
Skald Grimnir

Used to use "Gun Scrub" as a degreaser but then changed to brake cleaner. Bought whatever the local auto parts store had on special.

Then I discovered "perc", the dry cleaning solvent. I bought a brass spray container, added the perc, pressurized it, and voila, reasonably inexpensive and it works. I use it for cleaning guns too. Gotta worry a little bit about whether it might harm certain finishes but same with the other solvents.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Then my watch will have a pearly white smile....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon