Door Guardian opinions

I am about to install a new basement door after a break-in and found this door guardian during a search.

Reply to
bilco or gordon

IF you install a metal door & frame with the proper deadbolt & KIK, there would be no need for this junk.

It's only lockable from the inside, not in & out as a good DB would be.

Just my 2 cents....

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Thanks. The promo is saying that a deadbolt can be cut in 10 seconds but the door guardian can't. What is KIK? Thanks again.

Reply to
bilco or gordon

"bilco or gordon":

KIK means "Key in Knob" or a standard home lock...

Just who or what are you trying to keep out of your house ???

That "Door Guardian" crap is just that... Junk...

If I was you I would follow Newnsie's advice and get a sturdy steel door and frame installed by a professional -- that with a good deadbolt and lockset will do just fine... Installing "super security" devices on doors or windows in your home that might make you feel safer will only hurt you if you ever had to escape from your home in an emergency...

If you are concerned about home security I would recommend some type of alarm system... It does two things: a. It alerts you to someone entering or attempting to enter your home... b. It summons police and emergency responders to your home without you having to take any action whatsoever...

I posted advice once to someone asking about window locks... Who or What are you trying to keep out that just won't smash the glass ??? Windows are not made to be indestructable...

As far as your comments go for this: "The promo is saying that a deadbolt can be cut in 10 seconds but the door guardian can't." If you feel that you are truly threatened but such an attack to your doors than maybe you should move somewhere you feel safer...

Home safety and security is something that has nothing to do with what kind of locks you have on your doors -- if you want a secure home you need an alarm system... It at least will help you with insurance and the legal stuff associated with a claim in the event you are burglarized... It serves as a silent witness...

Because unless you live in a house without windows only a "bold" burglar that has reason to believe that there is something worth breaking down a door for will smash windows to enter...

And while I am on the topic of home safety I feel I should mention that anyone out there who installs "Double Cylinder Dead Bolts" the ones that require keys on both sides of the door to operate -- you are only a ticking time bomb waiting to blow... It is more likely that you will hurt yourself because you can not get out of your home in a fire or break-in because you don't have your keys near the door so you can open it to get out... And to those of you who say "I keep a key in the inside cylinder of the lock for safety" then what was the point of installing a double dead bolt to begin with ???

Evan

Reply to
Evan

That's, funny. The deadbolts I install say the door guardian can be cut in

*9* seconds. You really believe everything on the net?
Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I have to somewhat disagree with the experts here.

I've used this type of lock in the past, and it does work. Whether it is stronger than something else is a matter of specific design.

There is nothing special about the design. It has the same effect as adding a sliding bolt to the inside of the door. It's better than a chain because the screws won't pull out as easily (trapped by the edge of the door).

It's value lies in the fact that bypassing the lock or deadbolt (drilling, wrenching, picking, etc) are not effective. To get past this type of lock will leave signs of forced entry. It will only lock from the inside, so you will probably hear the cracking of the wood.

There is a variation on this device that has teeth where the screws are. It's designed for use when you are in a hotel room where you might want (temporarily) a little more security. Not a real secure device but better than the chain with the stripped 1/2 inch screws.

I first used one when I was just a kid. It was enough to stop my older brother when he was mad at me. Even when angry he did not want to face my parent's wrath if he busted down my bedroom door.

Like the others said, if you want real security, have a professional install a steel door and door frame with good locks.

Just my opinion.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

You'd have to show me that a DB could be cut in 10 min with the proper guard installed!

KIK= key in knob

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

NO INTERIOR CHAIN OR LOCK THAT ONLY WORKS FROM THE INSIDE IS WORTH A DIME!

What good is it if you can only use it when you're home?

When you're gone, what'll you use?

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

I've never attacked a DB with a large angle grinder (7"-9", 15Amp or equivalent pneumatic). But my *guess* is that a good guard would only slow it down by a second, and then the DB just might be cut through in a few more! Especially if it is a "regular" DB.

Of course the noise would attract attention from far away.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

These are generally intended to be "interview chains" -- that is, something which allows you to open the door to talk to someone (salesman or whomever) whom you don't trust enough to open the door all the way.

Problem is, most are FAR from strong enough for that use.

There are a few alternatives. The cheapest is a length of bicycle chain anchored into the frame with a lag bolt and just long enough to be looped around the doorknob. Ugly as all get-out, but it stands a reasonable chance of staying put.

There are also some more attractive objects sold for the purpose... but they're generally more like a hinged hasp than like a chain.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

1) Locks can be used to prevent entry except through certain doors. I used to see businesses with one or more heavy bars across the back door so that intruders could not force their way in from a dark alley. Those locks could not be opened from outside. I don't know if life and safety codes would allow such locks now. 2) I've also seen doors with no outside lock because the owner did not want anyone coming in that way. 3) When I'm in a hotel, the lock is suspect. I'm only worried about the security when I'm in the room. A temporary lock that only works from the inside is appropriate.

In short, property is not always the most important thing in some people's lives.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Can either of them be cut that quickly *and quietly*?

If a burglar has to break out the power tools, I'm probably going to be satisfied with the level of security.

Reply to
kd5nrh