Kids stealing hubcaps. How to lock them.

Kids have been stealing my aftermarket Honda plastic hub caps and using them as toys. I find them hung on trees branches, bushes, and everywhere when I wake up. I work the night shift, so, God knows who's playing when them. I'm not a "Section 8 resident" but my neighbors are. I tried gluing them to the wheel but when I need to change the tires, the hubcaps will break off, in half. Can someone come up with a clever solution to stop this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Section 8

Zip Ties.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Go to a nearby auto parts place & ask them for a quick fix.

They'll probably have something to help you out.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

i got one for my cars: IF YOU CAN get a security cam aimed at your car. Then once you know who the kids are, walk up to them to yell in their faces, call the cops, beat them up (then dont call the cops.. run away), or sneak into their house to kill them ... ect. Cameras should at least show you who is doing what, even if you cant do crap about it.

Reply to
The Snowfish.

Buy those thing that lock around the wheels like when you've parked bad (boots maybe?). Get four, one for each wheel. If the city surplus store doesn't have them, you might can order them off the web. Of course, these will cost more than the car, but hey, plastic is worth it, right?

Another option would be rig the car like in that one episode of MacGyver where you run the starter voltage through the car body. Then you could see the fried remains of the kids doing this unless they're good enough to touch only the plastic. Don't forget that you've done it so there aren't fried remains of you.

Reply to
Thom Fullery

Ummm... 12V isn't going to do a darned thing to a human...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If 12 volts would have any effect at all beyond the slightest tingle and even that only if you are wet at the point of contact, which it won't, how exactly is it that you propose to run the "starter voltage" through the car body given that the body is, if it's like 99.9% of cars on the road in the US, already grounded -12V? If you tried you would wind up with some sparks and a poor electrical weld at the point where you tried to apply the +12V. Notice I don't say arc weld because 12V under normal conditions is insufficient voltage to establish an arc.

There are numerous other problems with the idea which I'm sure others will point out when they ridicule it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Locking hubcaps. Buy them or retrofit ones from a junkyard.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

These intermittent fence chargers are available-- and the stimulation is clarifying. However, it is worthwhile to mention that in most jurisdictions, such a contrivance is considered a "passive minatory device" and the penalties for being caught employing one would make receiving the shock prefereable.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news:p9zPc.6517 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

But yet well worth it?

Reply to
epson

The fence charger has to be grounded to give you a shock. Just connecting the positive lead to the car won't do it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Give out some poisoned candy on halloween. Also cut off all the tree branches.

Dave

Reply to
Metal Dave

Reply to
Neil Farbstein

(snip)

That's basically how GM does/did it. Go to the junk yard (or you $$ GM Dealer $$) tell them you want the locking hubcap "bells" (that go on before three of the lug nuts) and locking screws with a matching key wrench.

Now unless you're using the GM hubcaps, you'll have to drill a hole in the center of your hubcaps to screw them to the "bells"

Here's a thought... Check with the Honda dealer to see if they make/made something similar.

BTW - don't try to rig up some kind of cable attached to a lug nut. If the hubcap comes off while you're driving it will beat the crap out to your car before you can get stopped.

Good luck

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML