Idea: Create a rec.locksmithing group

alt.locksmithing doesn't like questions from recreationial lockpickers and locksmiths.

people still ask here anyway.

this causes unnecessary friction.

wouldn't it be a good idea to create a rec.locksmithing group for people interested in the recreational/noncriminal challenge aspects of lockpicking, locksmithing, etc.?

or has this already been floated and shot down on some ground I haven't thought of?

Reply to
Undisclosed

Knock yourself out. Thing is there are already groups like what you describe, although I don't think in that particular higharchy or on Usenet that I know of.

You can find them easily with a Google search though.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Try this group on yahoo. sounds like what you and others may be looking for!

Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Works for me. Although I would suggest calling it rec.lockpicking "Locksmithing" is much more than just picking locks. In fact, picking locks is usually a relatively small part of the job.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Oops. I forgot to post the link to the lockpicking group. Sorry!

Try:

Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Sorry. I got in too much of a hurry and forgot to post the link I was trying to share. Not my group but seems to have the discussion the poster wanted.

Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Only half true, if that. In fact, some of us *are* recreational locksmiths, or part-timers. If you ask reasonable questions here, you can get reasonable answers, and in fact that covers most of "locksmithing". There are some places we don't go, specifically lockpicking and other defeating instructions.

As others have said, feel free to attempt it. You'll need to defend the need, which will include explaining why it deserves to be elevated to rec level when most of the existing alt participants won't move across to it. And I expect that if you do launch it, it'll die a rapid death for lack of informed participants.

Turning the idea around: Starting a _moderated_ locksmithing group is tempting. But I'm not willing to invest the time to moderate it, and in fact such groups already exist though they generally restrict readership as well.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Better to just post all the picking and cracking information right here. Its a public forum. It isnt owned or moderated by the secret squirrels who complain about whats posted. If people have a problem with that too bad.

Reply to
somesmartass

no need.

someone suggested LockSports @ Yahoo Groups to me, which seems to be a good forum set up already, and it doesn't seem to be dying out.

Usenet is slowly dying anyway for everything but binaries and cascades now anyway.

Sad.

I think the problem is that newsgroups have difficulty competing with the web anymore.

the advantage of Usenet is that it's not generally censorable in the traditional sense.

that's also what makes Usenet suck, i.e. you can't just boot a troll except by filtering, and since people who are otherwise good contributors you want to hear from will on average just feed the troll and make you read their "witty" responses, you can't filter everything out.

you can do moderated newsgroups, but at that point why not just run a website?

Reply to
Undisclosed

Cheer up because Usenet is far from dying. probably more activity than ever.

So? Just ignore anything you don't want to read. I don't bother killfiling much of anything except the really inane stuff and the usual spam keywords. I just ignore it, or occaisionaly read it for a laugh.

Because you still have to moderate a discussion group on your website, or leave it unmoderated and risk the same problems you speak of with regard to Usenet. If a moderated Usenet group will serve the purpose then just use that. If it won't then start a website.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere