locksmith unwittingly helping a criminal?

Somebody who used to live in my house still has my address on her drivers license. I've notified the motor vehicle bureau that she has moved, but she still has her license with my address on it. This is somebody who I know but no longer trust. If she wants to break into my house while I'm at work or on vacation, probably all she has to do is call a locksmith, show him her drivers license, and he'll pick my lock for her. If I upgrade to a Medeco or Primus lock, will a locksmith say, "Sorry, this is a restricted lock. I can't let you in. You need to call the locksmith who you bought the lock from"? Or will he take a look at her drivers license and cheerfully pick or bump or drill my lock?

I have no reason to believe that any of the local locksmiths in my area are dishonest. I just think they're sloppy about security. A few years ago I locked myself out of my house . I called a locksmith and he picked the lock for me. He looked at the address on my drivers license first. But he had no way of knowing that I still lived at the address that I lived at when my drivers license was issued.

I have been told that Medeco locks can be bumped or picked but Primus locks can't be. Is that true?

Reply to
donb89

If you upgrade to Medeco biaxial locks then you will not have your locks picked. They are for practical purposes unpickable to even some of the most skilled of locksmiths. I have given it many a try when I get bored if I work inside the shop or if I sit in my van waiting for a customer to arrive etc... sometimes someone will get lucky, but no locksmith actually enjoys kneeling at a door for more than 5-10 min if they have to try at all costs to pick a lock open. Medeco locks for us mean either you have the key code to make a new key, or we drill it. They are not inexpensive and if you loose your keys you could be out 100$ or so for just the house, and thats if you do most of the work yourself

Reply to
kg4boj

The fact that she is using a locksmith to gain entry is not changing the fact that she is committing 'B & E' and can be jailed for this....... Does this person have a legal right to gain entry??

Reply to
rifnraf

It's my understanding that Medeco is considered pick proof. I like the other poster's suggestion about the note in the window. Also include your cell phone number with a request to "call me before any work is done on this adress" and make it look like it's adressed to all contractors, utility guys, etc.

You could also call the local lock shops, and tell them about the matter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a professional locksmith I can say, at all the conventions and product exhibitions, I have NEVER seen a medeco biaxial lock bumped, with the fore and aft in addition to the left right center and height configurations, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to bump them, even if you could you would need MANY diffrent bump keys, and if you include exclusive keyways, thousands of possible bump keys if you could even make one just right to work with the biaxial locks somehow. I'd forget trying to bump medeco's It would be far easier tobreak the door and or frame. Same thing with primus.... no layman tries to pick your locks a locksmith will but he will probobly NOT even try to pick a high security lock. Its drill and replace time usually.

Reply to
kg4boj

Not if she says she won't need keys. Maybe if she says she does depending on if the system in question is really restricted.

You need to call the locksmith who you bought the lock from"? Or

Medeco and Primus don't pick or bump all that easy, in fact they usually won't pick or bump at all. Drilling is a possibility. I would look for a weaker link in the security chain i.e. window etc.

She has a legitimate DMV issued driver's license with the address on it. Just what exactly do you want them to check?

Again exactly what do you think they are going to do? Call the FBI and run a comprehensive background check as though you were getting a security clearance?

Almost impossible, if the lock is properly set up.

but Primus

Primus is also difficult to pick or bump. Either will in all liklihood be a drill job.

Reply to
Steve

If you are locked out of your house and you call a locksmith to open the door, where do you get a utility bill to show him as proof?

Reply to
Paul

It don't f****ng matter anyway because key can't read what is on it. Also this is why he is annoying the f*ck out of everyone on this newsgroup instead of going out there working.

Reply to
Dave

There are always other options, I have heard people I work with ask, what drawer is the silverware in? what type of flooring is it? do you have any checks inside with your name on them? this weeds out 90% of most goons and spooks. we can also ask for the phone number of the house if its listed, and do a reverse trace on the number. Many options are avalable. Us locksmiths will work with you, and as the guy above said, most high security locks (eg primus, everest, medeco etc.) are drill jobs, we drill them out and they need to be replaced.

If you are concerned about bumping, talk to your locksmith about it, many of us know more than a few tricks that are tested to work, yet make sure if you get locked out they are still pickable, and can be rekeyed at will

Reply to
kg4boj

duh ! you can come up with it if you really live there ? even if its after the door is open. there are also other methods of checking them out...

Reply to
Key

Here's a good one. About three months ago I get a call from a guy telling he ran a property managenent business.He gave me an adress of a residence that he needed to gain entry to. He told me that a wholesale realtor was selling the property and that their sign was in the front yard. I asked him about showing a drivers license, but he informed me that he was 25 miles away at the time and was still working on a project.He insisted that I call the wholesale company and they would confirm this. So I hung up and did a reverse on his number-came back to his name and adress. Did google earth and had a look at his pad-right where he said it was. Looked at the wholesale realtor's website-then called them-they confirmed him and the name of his company and that "he was doing what he was supposed to be doing". I looked around at this place-it was unoccupied. Drill-Replace-Mailed the bill. Week later-paid-done

goma. p.s.No Medeco-just a shitty Mag-rim-LOL

Reply to
goma865

sounds like you done the right thing...

Reply to