Master 34-39

We have several of the master trailer hitch locks, all keyed alike. I picked up a 36 for a new trailer and thought it would be a snap to pull the cylinder from one of the others and slip it in the 36 so it would be keyed like the rest of the fleet. I operated the lock, and pulled the threaded plug, but do not see an obvious way to release the cylinder assembly. I had assumed there would be a circlip or something accessible when the lock was in the open position and the plug removed, but nothing. There is what looks like a drive pin or rivet on the side of the housing. Must that be drilled? Surely not.

This makes me furious because I rekeyed one of these maybe 20 years ago, and I should be able to figure it out. Ugh.

AnaLog Services

analog

Is this the lock?

?product_number=36&sub_cat_id=D36&template=app>
BogusID

Reply to
analog

Hello again,

Sorry about that, the Master web site referred the 36AT having a Python pin tumbler lock, and then the FAW referred to the Python wafer lock.

I could not find any other docs, and have not rekeyed or examined one of these personally... I wonder if there is a clip that only reveals itself when you spin the plug

180 degrees?

Does anyone else know the trick for these?

Reply to
BogusID

I wound up calling Master's resident locksmith (Billy) this afternoon. He confirmed what I suspected; you must drill that pesky pin.

I will try it tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
analog

The little pin is HARD. I cannot drill it with even a titanium bit. These things are supposed to be rekeyable, but I am just too stupid to do it, I guess.

Disgusted >On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:59:08 GMT, "BogusID" snipped-for-privacy@YesItIs.com wrote: >

Reply to
analog

titanium coated bit? nope, wont work.. need carbide.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Unfortunately yes.