Multi-point lock and securing hinges.

I have two questions..

First is there a multi-point locking mechanism that can be fitted to an

external door. I have a few french doors with these on and they seem to

work pretty well. Now I have had to repair a front entry door and

wanted to know if I could retrofit it with a multi-point lock. If so

where can I buy these things on-line.

My second question relates to hinges. The house I bought has a set of

french doors that have the hinge bolts on the outside. This is a set of

exterior doors and I think the fact these bolts are on the outside is a

security risk. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
pat.ostman

there is a 'lock' that is used, back east, I believe its called a

FOX brand or such.. the lock is in the center of the door and it

extends a bolt in 4 directions..

the lock on the edge like the French doors use? NOT easily..

try driving the hinge pin out..if it does, then get a set of

hinges suitable size of FIXED PIN..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Piano hinges. Stainless steel is nice. You may have to trim the door

where the hinges mount. McMaster-Carr has them.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

You can fit simple hinge bolts, these should be fitted to any external

door that opens outwards. They are cheap, easy to fit and secure. On

safes they are called dog bolts.

Multipoint locks are not as secure as two single points locks generally

speaking. Multi-plane locks are more secure but far harder to fit and

more expensive. Much depends on the door construction and frame.

Reply to
lockman49

The easiest way to solve your hinge problem is to buy a security pin and

install it, or simply make one. The way to make a pin is to remove one

screw on the frame side of the hinge, and the same screw on the door side of

the hinge. Then take a longer larger screw and screw it into the frame

but don't screw it in all the way. It should stick out roughly 3/4 of an

inch when your finished. Now cut the head off of the screw. When you

close the door, the remainder of the screw that is sticking out will go into

the screw hole in the door side. Thus when some one attempts to remove

the hinge pin, the security pin will deny the removal of the door. I

would recommend doing this to at least two of the hinges and possibly all

three in each door.

Hopefully I've explained this correctly. If you want to make sure that

your doing it properly, then go to your local locksmith shop and ask them

for the premade pins for this.

Jack

Allied Lock & Security, Inc.

Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack

Jack

""If you want to make sure that your doing it properly, then go to

your local locksmith shop and ask them for the premade pins for this.

""

Neat lead. I will go get some pins to have them on hand.

Thanks

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

On hinges as others have suggested you can make or buy hinge pins or even

better just replace your hinges with tight butt hinges. The hinge pins are

not removable on these.

On multi point locking, the downside is there is a lot of carpentry to

install these and that will probably mean a new door and frame.

A properly installed 1 inch dead bolt is not bad when you consider it is

probably stronger than a lot of the other points of entry to your home.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf