Gun safe security question

Hello,

I have spent nearly 2 weeks researching for a resadential gun safe, and I have it narrowed down to 2 safes I can get:

Browning Medallion Widebody

980 pounds - 10 Guage Steel Exterior Hinges 40x60x28 Bolts on 3 sides 30 minutes @ 1500 degrees rated About $2,000

Timber Ridge (Gander Mountain brand made by Liberty)

880 pounds - 12 guage steel Interior Hinges 36x60x28 bolts on only 2 sides 45 minutes @ 1200 Degrees About $1,400

It's going to go in my family room as furniture, so both are glossy black, and have designs on the front.

Is 10 guage steel, top locking bolts, & 100 pounds, worth the extra $600?

The thicker steel safe has exterior hinges. The thinner steel safe has interior hinges.

Which one of these would you buy?

Thanks

Reply to
Bill

there is 'something'- either a flange, or locking bolts on the HINGE side? think this, the door is CLOSED, whats to prevent it from being pried OUT on that side? this applies to BOTH actually.. but.. NON moving bolts are acceptable here.. they clear the door as its opened but prevent a straight pry.. dittto a 'something' that is heavy/stout/doesnt look like it would bend easily..

door OPEN-45 degree angle.. try LIFTING on the door, which hinges have more 'give'? this is not necessarily a BAD thing.. but.. it might give you a clue as to which had more care taken in construction, which fits better, and has less slop..

door CLOSED... does the doors fit EVENLY, no odd spacing variations of gap? for example the top edge has 1/8" on 1 corner and 3/16 to 1/4" on the opposite..

the combo lock? what brand? S& G are good- assuming BOTH are the same brand.. GENTLY spin the dial- feel any drag or high spots? this goes to care of assembly.. is the dial loose, in and out?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ottawa Canada

I have one question about your desire for a gun safe:

Q: Are you going to put your firearms in the gun safe to secure them from theft or unauthorized use, or to protect them from damage by fire?

The specs you quoted for the two gun safes you listed indicate that the safes are rated for protection from FIRE damage and NOT designed to secure the contents from theft by a burglar.

A burglar resistant safe is not built of 10 or 12 gauge steel but is built like a miniature vault from Fort Knox.

The gun safes you list in your post will protect your firearms from damage by fire and from casual theft or unauthorized use, but someone with burglar's tools will be able to open it in short order and get at your home arsenal.

The combination lock on fire safes is there to keep casual intruders out, a burglar won't even bother trying to dial the combination, he will just force the firre safe open.

Hope the above comments help guide you in your selection of a suitable safe.

Brian "Bill" (st6 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) writes: > Hello, >

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

Hi Brian.. personally I have NOT seen a 'genuine' made for gun safe, that was anything heavier.. you know of a brand/model?

and another thing, again, me personally, after having taken a couple apart to fix the locks, do not really care for their 'fire proofing' stuff too much either.. Has any passed UL standards?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ottawa Canada

I am not familiar with gun safes so cannot comment on whether they passed UL or ULC tests or were even submitted to UL or ULC for testing.

Sounds like their fireproofing is not so good and about all they havwe going for them is looks.

Brian

( snipped-for-privacy@abuse.net) writes: > >

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard