NEED HELP !!Coastal Hardware vs. corrosion

My parents own a condo in the panhandle of Florida, and the condo complex is wanting to replace all of the door knobs and possibly DB's on each door (200+ doors). The pricing the local smith is offering isn't bad compared to my market but I'm questioning the brand/model. They are suggesting Titans. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these in a salt air environment? Could you recommend a different make/model? I personally would rather schlage than kwikset due to the master system possibilites (MACS). But other than that, I don't know what would work better in that environment. Guess that's why I'm an Atlanta smith not a FL one. Just trying to help my family and the others in that complex.

TIA

Jack Wynn President Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

Reply to
JACK

dig in your books for a stainless steel..then sit down..

then, did NOT Schlage buy out Master door knob to get the corrosion resistant finish that Master had patented?? 'lifetime finish'???

PERSONALLY I would rather see a passage knob with a good deadbolt..saves problems in the long run.. BUT.. NOT a Titan, UNLESS the brushed Chrome is available..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
pickproof

You ask several questions here, let's break them down as I see them.

First off you question the finish. Unless they HOA is going to spring for a marine grade lock (very pricey) then the best option would be either a chrome finish (either brushed or polished) or an oil rubbed bronze. Titans are available both ways.

As far as the available key changes, I would question the need to have the locks masterkeyed at all. These are condo's and the residents are owners, not tenants. Avoiding the masterkeying might relieve the HOA of liability for key control. If however the residents opt for having a masterkey system, the 6 pin Titan allows for plenty of key changes for 200 units.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf