need help with my new "old" meilink safe

Hey there, I am now the proud owner of a nice older Meilink safe. It is very large, 29" square and about 66" tall. This safe has the original dial with a butterfly switch on the dial.

I have the combination, which was set to my numbers when it was delivered by the local lock shop whom I bought it from. BTW-if anyone is interested I paid $660 plus $140 delivery and install on the main floor of my home. It was formerly a military safe for top secret documents and rated for something like 1850 degrees for 3 hrs, if I remember right from looking up its SCMA(?) classification (that's now locked inside so I can't quote it).

This local safe business was quite difficult to work with once I paid my cash, they delivered it and it stood outside my home for 3 weeks because they hadn't communicated to the delivery guy it needed to go inside. I did have it covered from the rain. So, I'm hoping to get some assistance here.

My problem is that since I locked it I can't re-open it. After two missed installation appointments I did not leave work for the third appt. where they did finally install it in my office and set the new combo to my specs and give my wife written instructions. They read: Lx4 (xx), Rx3 (xx), Lx2 (xx), Rx1 to 0, turn butterfly keep turning, turn handle.

The combo numbers are (xx) shown in parethenses. Does this "L" mean counterclockwise? I've tried a few times carefully, with no open. I'm assuming these instructions mean, for example for Rx3 (xx) - that means after turning four times around to stop at the first number I reverse and turn three times past that first number and stop at the next "Rx4 (xx)" number. And so on. . . I'm excited to finally have a nice safe for my guns and documents - now if only I could know that I can open get it opened consistently. Right now, I'd be afraid to lock anything in it if I did get it open. thanks!

Reply to
plutotm

<snip>

Yes

No, it means turn that many times TO the next number.

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

ok, it SHOULD BE...

4 times counterclockwise (left) AT LEAST, stopping at first number..

now turn RIGHT, stopping when the second number shows up under the index the THIRD TIME, NOT necessarily 3 turns.

turn LEFT again, stopping when the third number comes up the SECOND time.. again, not necessarily 2 complete turns

turn right to last number (0) turn the butterfly and keep turning, it should maybe go 'some distance' meaning a half turn (its been a while since I did one of these)

make CERTAIN you are using the index at 12 o clock..

if you do this 2-3 times and it does NOT open, use the index at

10:30 and see if it opens THERE.. if it DOES, call the people you bought it from and fuss.. they screwed up..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks for your help! I got it open on the first try after printing out your answers. Really Appreciate it!!!

Reply to
plutotm