Non payment for Master key project on multi family apartment building 43 units with an additional 12 basement doors.

We just completed a job we supplied, master keyed and installed 160 mortise and rim cylinders this is a 43 unit apartment building. We invoiced the job and received an email back stating that they will be deducting &1000.00 from the invoice. They were aware that we could only do this worn on weekends they stated they were frustrated that is took so long and had many problems with the tenants because of this. Just looking for thoughts on how other locksmith may handle a situation like this. I have been a licensed locksmith in the state of Illinois for 20 years and never had any issues with payment. Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
pickproof

Did they agree to the quoted price? Did you do the work? Personally, I would tell them to pay the bill, and if they don't, you will take legal action (lawsuit, lien, etc.).

Just my 2 cents

Reply to
Jeff Kiral

I've found that a well written estimate, signed by the locksmith and customer solves a lot of problems. In your case, did an agreement give time limits fir completion or certain days you couldn't work, such as weekends? If not, they owe you the money. If your state allows small claims actions for what they agreed to but now won't pay you, that's where to go. As for verbal agreements, when I opened my own locksmith business, I quickly learned that a verbal agreement even with a handshake, isn't worth the paper it's written on. Always put it in writing.

Skip

Reply to
Skipfromla

Thanks for the reply, The client agreed to the written price and signed the invoice and made requested down payment. The work was completed per the scope of work. We are very small and do not know if we can go through a lawsuit or not we will contact an attorney and see where we stand. Thanks Again!

Reply to
pickproof