Re: Clockwise or counterclockwise for various brands?

If you get a plug spinner you won't have to worry about it.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

MY LUCK, it ALWAYS picks to the unlock...plug spinner...

if the key is BELOW the center of the bolt...it turns TOWARD the bolt to lock...usually speaking... except KW.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Me to. Rytan's plug spinner has served me well. They are around $20 through Rytan direct

it once and it pays for itself.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I dont know of a list with the info you're asking for but remember that a lot of locks out there pick a lot quicker to the locked position, Kwikset comes to mind. I've seen quite a few of those that didn't want to pick to the unlock position and then when I picked them to the locked position they picked quite well.

You can make a cheap plug spinner by getting a big rubber band and drilling a hole in the top of say a KW1, Y1, and SC1 blank at the top of the bow and running the band through it. That will cover 98% of the locks you normally encounter. Just turn the plug with the tension applied to the rubber band. Or better yet, go buy a Rytan.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I've not seen such a list. However, I've found that knob locks always open the same direction (within brand) and deadbolts are either or, depending on whether the bolt is in right side up, upside down, or LH or RH door.

As for knobs, Kwikset always left. Schlage F-line and Dexter and Weiser always right. Schlage commercial and Weslock residential and Arrow don't matter.

The Taiwan locks are anybody's guess.

I've seen car opening books which give the key turn directions various vehicles.

Best bet is to ask the customer. Usually s/he will look off into space, extend a hand like s/he had a key, and turn hand one way of the other, and then answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My observation on the customer knowing the direction is : Women ALWAYS know the correct direction Men are almost always wrong! If in doubt ask the women.

Doubt me? Which direction does the key turn on your car or truck?(door) Now go ask your wife or girlfriend. Who is correct?

Any body else have the same or similiar observation?

Reply to
no Spam