Re: Need help impressioning barrel key cabinet lock

Hello "Allan",

I'd recommend taking it to your local locksmith shop. They have special tools and experience to examine the lock and deduce the proper cut depths...

Keys for tubular/barrel locks aremore difficult to produce without the proper tools, and trying to use a drill or something along the key edge may cause personal injury. A fool and his digits are soon parted...

Seriously, this is not a task for tinkering, let a pro give you the needed support.

David

> I have a cupboard my in-laws brought back from France in the 60's (the > > piece may actually have been made in Germany, but no one knows for > > sure). Of course, the key to the drop-down shelf was lost during a > > move, and, although I have purchased about a hundred old barrel keys, > > I've been unable to get the lock open. > > > > Some keys move an internal lever 1/4 turn, but then is interrupted > > before completing the last 1/4 turn. > > > > I need some good instructions for impressioning a key for this lock. I > > received a number of blanks among the keys I bought, so I have something > > to work with. I have read a number of articles on how to do this for > > regular pin locks, but have been unable to find anything on barrel-keyed > > furniture locks. > > > > TIA for your help. > > > > Regards, > > Allan. > >
Reply to
BogusID