UL testing process

What I'm looking for is the testing process for UL certifications. Specificly TS and TXTL. what manner of tools do they use, and how are they used? where are the explosives placed on the body? The reason for my curiosity is that I've been thinking of constructing my own large safe for a while. I'm not planning on submitting one for testing as I don't have that kind of time or money, but I'd like to be able to hit TXTL60 with mine.

Reply to
fugi

You can pay UL on-line to download a copy of the specifications,

--or-- if you have a college or university near you that has a mechanical engineering department you could visit the library on the campus and check out their reference section to see if they have a copy of those standards in the library...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

google is your friend..

tifications+&btnG=Search

has a length of 76 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

'luck

Reply to
Key

that doesn't really help but thanks

Reply to
fugi

you're welcome however, there were 256,000 sights for safe UL certifications . your answer is probably in there somewhere..

no pun intended

Reply to
Key

The best answer to this question would be to get the spec from UL. It's not free, and you're not likely to find it online, despite suggestions otherwise.

I've read many (conflicting) accounts of what the standards require. One detail i'm still not clear on is whether an opening success depends on producing a 6 square inch hole, or a hole that's 6 inches square (that's 36 square inches). Various accountings of the standard (online and otherwise) disagree.

Explosives used are limited by weight, but I don't know the amount offhand. They go wherever the testers choose.

Testers do have detailed knowledge of the safe's construction and design prior to attack.

Breifly, here's what's required of a TXTL60, according to Jack Schultz, formerly of U.L.:

It has to withstand 60 minutes of attack, on all 6 sides, and a successful opening consists of opening the door, or producing a 2" (sq in or in ^2 -- i don't know) hole.

A TXTL60 safe must weigh a minimum of 1000 lbs and have a group 1 or 1R lock.

Tools used include: Chisels Punches Wrenches Screwdrivers Pliers Hammers Sledges up to 8 lbs Pry bars up to 5 ft Ripping tools up to 5 ft Picking tools Impact hammer and drills Drill rigs

1/2" hand drills Power saws Hole saws Abrasive wheels OxyAcetylene torches Explosives
Reply to
googlegroups