Re: OT trivia..

Gas prices up, sales of inefficient vehicles down. As the driver of an econobox, I'm snickering loudly at all the SUV owners... and regretting that I didn't go for a hybrid.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Americans forget just how cheap our gas prices actually are compared with most of the world. A decade ago, in Spain, filling the tank of a subcompact cost me the equivalent of US$30. Even in Canada, gas costs significantly more... though I have trouble keeping track of how much more, given the combined currency and metric conversions.

The real answer, though, is: If you're driving a gas-guzzling minivan or SUV, you have only yourself to blame if it's now expensive to operate. I'm somewhat regretting not having gotten a hybrid... but I'm already using public transit for my commute, so I'm somewhat isolated from fuel prices.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

if.. gas continues to climb, then I see 2 problems coming.. 1 is the banks, with ALL the reposessed 'large gas guzzlers' and 2, the american car industry going DOWN the tubes, cause of 'lag time' to make a DECENT fuel efficient car... ewhich may or may NOT take a HUGE dent in the economy, and lack of recovery of same.. places here is $2 already, and the USUAL is a 20-30 cent increase in may.. THAT IMO, will be the timb bomb... will it, or wont it.. sure gonna make a SERIOUS dent in travel/vacation plans, in either case --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

gas-guzzling minivan or

expensive to operate.

I'm already

isolated from fuel

coming..

guzzlers'

cause of

may or

recovery of

it, or

in

We raise out trip charge when gas goes up drastically. we lower it back down then it comes its back to normal. customers don't seem to mind. well, they probably mind but they usually understand.

Reply to
Key

We aren't as reliant on OPEC as you guys are... Plus we struck a semi-secret deal with Kuwait when we saved their collective asses...

Reply to
Aegis

it's 2.11 in Vegas for the cheap stuff.

Reply to
billb

actually we get the petrol free since we are the ones printing the dollars.

of course the profit from all this stays with the big campaign contributors.

Reply to
billb