Replace old Dexter Deadbolts?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a locksmith - but I figured this would be an excellent source of people really smart about this. I own a 1952 home with very old Dexter locks. The front door deadbolt finally gave up the ghost and dropped a pin, and I have never had the key to the back door deadbolt. Is it possible to just swap out the locking cylinder (pardon me if my terminology is flawed - see disclaimer)?

I would like to be able to retain the old hardware, but the guys at the local shop said that these aren't available anymore, and that I would have to replace the hardware or, even worse, get a whole new door. By the way, the doors are solid wood, so presumably, I could just make a larger cutout (the old hardware is pretty small).

I have pics of the hardware if you want to take a look. I'll try to post if allowed, and will e-mail if requested.

Thanks in advance for all useful thoughts!

Shanababe

Reply to
shanababe999

Roger Cann

I may have some of these. Replaced two a few months back.On one the keyway was so worn, you could not even use the right key-Really hung in there-Don't see that in too many locks these days. Let me check the junk pile.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Well, there I go running my mouth. I don't have any in the pile. You might want to upsize the bore-that is if the door is 1-3/8. The ones I replaced were on 1-1/8 door-too narrow for tubular type bolt. Had to use rim lock. How thick is the door?

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Reply to
Roger Cann

Pics are here for a short time:

your lock cylinder got turned over and the key managed to get pulled out upside down. you might be able to insert a stiff straight paper clip into the lock and raise the top pins to the point allowing you to turn the cylinder back to the upright position. good luck. and thanks for the pics it explained your problem. (emailing you as well) This is a simple fix! YOU DON'T have to buy new locks. maybe a better cut key at best. Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

You might try Ebay or someplace like that. Then take to your local locksmith shop to get it keyed to your key. Check the web some places that lots of old locks for sell. Good Luck!!!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
3:16 LOCKSMITH

Many years ago (probably plus ten) I replaced a couple old Dexters. No idea if I have the old ones. Maybe, but unlikely.

I'd suggest to call a couple locksmiths and see if you can bring em in for rekeying. If memory serves, the old Dexter spacing was the same as the Master 1K keyway. Long time ago I used to have a couple key blanks for the old Dexter short spacing.

Generally, a locksmith can drill the holes larger, so that a modern deadbolt will work. I've done several. But, they don't look the same as the older locks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As per the new pictures you just sent... The top pins fell in the keyway. it's too late to lift them back up (one has turnt sidways). the lock has to be totally rekeyed. I would suggest taking it to a locksmith. I've had to do it before. on average your looking at $10.00. by the looks of the keyway though it is worn to the point of no return... 50/50 chance. btw the key shouldn't've come out upside down. could've been picked and when the cylinder reached the 180 degree point the top pins dropped under spring pressure into the keyway. then inserting objects in to the keyway other then to try and lift them back into the chambers just tipped the first one over. was the cylinder like this when you approached it? Or did you pull the key out upside down? (which is highly unlikly unless the cutting of the key permitted it) Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind advice! It does look like rekeying or replacement is my only option. I'm glad there's such a great group of helpful people to assist me in my time of need!

Reply to
shanababe999