Cutting Dexter Torflex axle

I have a pair of 3500# Dexter Torflex axles. They are too narrow for the trailer frame I would like to mount them under. Has anyone successfully cut and lengthened the tube. I don't know how far the rubber extends into the axle tube.

Reply to
aasberry

I did an image search for "Dexter Torflex Axle" and that was one result . Looks like if you cut it right in the center you can widen it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'd certainly check with Dexter before cutting one. It sounds to me that the rubber is -suspending- the regular torsion bars.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks that way to me too , Larry . But if the picture is accurate the rubber doesn't go all the way to the center . Cut it , insert some close-fitting tube and weld it back together - taking care to keep the rubber area cooled .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

OK, but I wouldn't trust the illustration. And close-fitting tubing can be tough to find, depending on the axle tubing thickness.

Besides, I'd want a drop-bed-style axle to ground the load on my trailer. The only way to fly.

and

Larry Jaques