Cutting Dexter Torflex axle

I have a pair of 3500# Dexter Torflex axles. They are too narrow for the trailer frame I would like to mount them under. Has anyone
successfully cut and lengthened the tube. I don't know how far the rubber extends into the axle tube.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

https://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/2036913/page/249824203 I did an image search for "Dexter Torflex Axle" and that was one result . Looks like if you cut it right in the center you can widen it .
--
Snag

I'd certainly check with Dexter before cutting one. It sounds to me that the rubber is -suspending- the regular torsion bars.
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Looks that way to me too , Larry . But if the picture is accurate the rubber doesn't go all the way to the center . Cut it , insert some close-fitting tube and weld it back together - taking care to keep the rubber area cooled .
--
Snag

OK, but I wouldn't trust the illustration. And close-fitting tubing can be tough to find, depending on the axle tubing thickness.
Besides, I'd want a drop-bed-style axle to ground the load on my trailer. <g> The only way to fly. http://tinyurl.com/zzlan56 and
http://www.klingertrailer.com/s/cc_images/cache_6988171.jpg