Research question: Lock Jammer

I'm working on a story and I heard about a piece of unique technology called alternatively a "Lock Jammer" or a "Doorjammer". What I understand it to be is a key blank sized piece a metal, made from a high-tin concentrate bronze alloy, making the "key" incredibly soft. After inserting one into a lock, you simply twist hard and the key snaps in half, effectively jamming the locking mechanism solid.

Trouble is that I cannot find a reference to this anywhere. Can you folks help or at least point me to where I can find more information about this?

Reply to
John Reiher

This message was posted through I'm working on a story and I

What would be the point? You can jam anything that will fit in the lock in there and break it off. Toothpicks are the most common.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I am working with John and the problem is that the person who originally wrote the description of the "Doorjammer" is no longer with the project and if we cannot prove the device actually exists then we will have to drop it because it is the former participants original idea. If we can prove that this is a real object then all we have to do is change the name.

The idea of using this instead of just a toothpick is that this will be more invasive into the lock, causing more damage than a toothpick. The other idea was coating it with acid so that when it melted it would gum the works.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
C. Callicoat

Sounds Walter-Mitty-esque. There are standard solutions for temporary lockout which work better than this kluge would. And no, I'm not going to document them due to the vandalism potential; if you have a legitimate need, talk to a local locksmith about it.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman
<snip>NO OFF..

This sounds awfully suspicious-Are you with Underwriters Laboratories??? JK-LMAO

You should never JAM a lock!!!!-LMAO

So, I'm going to tell you like the guy in "1941"

NEVER ..find a blank which fits the intended "target" keyway.

NEVER ..make a cut on the first position of the key-closest to the bow-or head

NEVER ....make the cut so the sides of it are straight-90 degrees

NEVER ...insert the key in the lock until the first pin snaps into this cut and holds the key inside the lock

and most importantly....

NEVER AT ANY TIME ....take a large pair of channel locks and break the head off by bending to the left or right-not rotating

later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

Interesting...though, unfortuately, not what we are looking for, takes too long and needs to much skill. The idea of this device is that you can carry a key chain full of them (or carry a couple in your wallet) and just pull it out, find the right thickness and slide it in. This way you do not have to have any knowledge of locksmithing to deny someone use of the door.

We do not want anyone to document anything that could potentially someone ideas for vandalism, however, we do want to give the players a way to jam doors open or closed.

BTW: We are writing a role playing game set in modern times, the players are part of a secret organizations tasked with dealing with the supernatural in whatever way necessary, though preferably non-violently. They also, most importantly, never let knowledge of the supernatural get out. The web site for the game we are updating is:

So no, we ar enot up to anything or looking to cause any one problems, though we do appreciate the concern.

Chris

Reply to
C. Callicoat

If it's for game purposes, simply assert that such a device exists.

Note that tampering with the lock cylinder wouldn't "jam doors open or closed"; it jams only the lock cylinder, and the latch continues to function as always. So if this is the game mechanic you want, you

*definitely* need to assert something more complicated.

Remember, the players just need plausible suspension of disbelief. Too much realism is not doing them a favor. For example, if the solution you're speculating about existed, someone who knew what they were doing might still be able to undo it -- and certainly it could be undone if the other side of the door can be accessed and/or if someone was willing to sacrifice the lock. So it'd be strictly a short-term solution -- and not a particularly good one because it leaves unmistakable evidence that tampering has occurred, which no secret organization wants to advertise.

Were I a GM, I'd make sure anyplace where this had been used doubled their security no more than eight hours later...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

It's nice to meet a locksmith who RPGs.

Thanks Joe, you answered our question by pointing out the obvious: for this thing to work, you'd have to lock the door first, and then use this doo-dad.

And since this is only a barrier as strong as the door is, a boot placed in the right place would bypass the jammed lock fairly well. I think the person who came up the idea in the first place hadn't thought that bit out, as well as the bit about locking the door.

I think he got hit by an urban legend, and swallowed the story hook line and sinker.

The background on this is that this lock jammer is used by private investigators to seal doors when they are trying to either trap someone or to get away, but now that I think about it critically, that's a load of bovine stuff.

There are several ways of barring a door, the easiest is putting something big in front of it. Mass wins out every day.

Thanks again Joe!

Reply to
John Reiher

There is a device called a Key Block, that can be inserted into the lock not allowing the proper key to access it anymore. It comes with a tool for removal as well so that the lock can be used again afterwards.

Reply to
Absinthe

I have never heard of a dedicated device like what you describe. Anybody who insisted on using a precise fitting object would just use a key blank and break it off. Or a keyblank with a "\|" cut instead of a "\ /" cut at the tip. As far as acid: Again what's the practical point? Superglue is easier to obtain and handle and would work alot better.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

To fit any better/tighter than a non-specialized object e.g. a toothpick it would still have to match the wards(horizontal milling) in the keyway. That leaves out flat objects for most locks.

This way

Stick to a pocketfull of toothpicks. Or a tube of crazy glue.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's basically a boot for a doorknob.

Putyourspamhere

Yeah, there's that too. Not the thing I was thinking of. This looks like a key but in two parts with kind of a hook/puzzle piece configuration. You push it in like a key then tilt pull out the driver part. Then to remove it you put the driver part back in and it hooks the piece and pulls it out. I will have to look for the MFG name.

They make them for specific keyways but I am not sure for all of them. I am certain it would be an easy enough fine scroll saw project.:) I'll ask around or look in the catalogs I have, when I find the correct name I will post it.

--A

Reply to
Absinthe

Reply to
Absinthe

Looks like a good idea. Most people would just assume there was a key or something else broken in the lock.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I never used them, but it seemed like a good idea not sure what all keyways they support, but perhaps this is what the OP was referring to.

Reply to
Absinthe

we use a similar system here, construction keying... when we build the system, we install a wafer which controls the last three pins... the builders key controls the first three.... when handover takes place we hook out the wafers enabling the tenants keys to work but not the builders....

Reply to
steve