Simple preventive against bump keys...

If it's really a bump key and not a duplicate key problem pin one or more chambers with a slightly deeper than factory '9' cut and correspondingly longer non-factory pin. It will be easier with some locks than others. The bump key will be cut too high and won't work. It can be overcome but odds are the bumper won't figure it out.

Reply to
DB

Good Idea, BTW it's a Kwikset wannabe Import. Guess I could go to a 7 cut on a chamber or two. Or better yet HS when the customer calls back.

Reply to
Roger Cann

Just how much does the customer expect from a $5 lock?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Not a whole lot, got her sold on better ones $100.00 and up. Grade 2 knobsets and lori DB's with HS mortise cylinders... tried to save her some money, see ins how she calls me to change her locks every month.. :-)

Reply to
Roger Cann

Depending on the profile, it may be possible to drill the (say) last pin chamber a bit deeper to facilitate this and adjust the ramp at the tip of the key accordingly (although it might be a bit more tricky to insert). This presumes suitably long lower pins are available.

Reply to
peterwn