Transponder key lost. How to bypass.

The transponder unit inside a BMW uses a series of pulses sent to Engine Computer for verification. I like to record this signal and play them back on my desktop PC's music program. I've lost this key once and it cost $200US to get another. I will use a hand held tape recorder to record the series of pulses. How do I convert a data (electrical, 3vdc) signal into a usable sound waves using a microphone?

Thanks

Reply to
Section 8

You will have to use the d.c. pulses to switch an audio signal on and off, and record that.

Reply to
dB

It may not do you any good. If the BMW key uses a coding scheme similar to RF garage door openers (even the cheap ones), each transmitted code is unique and can't be replayed.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You don't. You use a suitable antenna and radio reciever.

(It won't work, but you sound like someone who should be encouraged to waste your money trying...)

Reply to
user

And somewhere around the time of 07/29/2004 23:34, the world stopped and listened as Section 8 contributed the following to humanity:

I can point you to several places where you can get info on building one, but the problem is that sound has nothing to do with it. It's an RF signal that the transmitter sends to the vehicle. Each one sends a digitally encoded signal to the car, similar to a garage door opener. The signal is unique to the vehicle and cannot be played back, considering that some of these rotate frequencies and codes to help prevent theft.

Your best bet is to drop the US$200.00 and get another one.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

My adage is if he can afford the flippin BMW he can afford to purchase the correct item at the dealer. "Daniel Rudy" <i0n1v2a3l4i5d6d7c8r9u0d1y2e3m4a5i6l7@n0o1p2a3c4b5e6l7l8s9p0a1m2.3n4e5t6>

Reply to
Art

And somewhere around the time of 07/31/2004 05:07, the world stopped and listened as Art contributed the following to humanity:

Yeah, I have to agree with that myself.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Hmm... Makes me wonder if he even actually owns that BMW... <g>

<snip>
Reply to
Herbert West

And somewhere around the time of 08/01/2004 18:02, the world stopped and listened as Herbert West contributed the following to humanity:

Now that you mention it, considering that he wanted to 'playback' the codes kinda makes me think he might be looking to steal one. But, what do I know.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

If he is it isn't in much danger other than maybe from the damage he will doing trying to get into it..

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Danny: Do you own a BMW and lost the access key?? Duh: LOL "Daniel Rudy" <i0n1v2a3l4i5d6d7c8r9u0d1y2e3m4a5i6l7@n0o1p2a3c4b5e6l7l8s9p0a1m2.3n4e5t6>

<i0n1v2a3l4i5d6d7c8r9u0d1y2e3m4a5i6l7@n0o1p2a3c4b5e6l7l8s9p0a1m2.3n4e5t6>
Reply to
Art

You'll need to raise the volume on the transponder to 11 and push the unlock button really hard to get the microphone to pick it up.

Dave

Reply to
Metal Dave