Why Are Locksmiths So "Rough around the edges" ?

I have AAA and unfortunately I tend to lock my keys in the car more often than I should. Between the cellphone, laptop, luggage bag, purse and everything else I admit I forget the keys in the ignition, despite the beeps...

So anyhow, I have done this 4 times in the last year and each time I have had to deal with a *locksmith* and it has not been pleasent.

Oh yea, they send a wrecker first, but as soon as the moron driving the tow truck sees a BMW 760i, he gets on the cell phone and calls for help.

I don't say anything and am polite.

So then the *locksmith* arrives, usually in some white el-cheapo Ford Econo-van belching fumes and stinking from body stench.

The locksmith, not the van.

So here I have this toothless wonder about to destroy my $65,000 car....

Yet I am trapped here so I really don't have a choice...

He fishes through his bag of tricks and when nothing seems to work he tells me he will have to break a window to gain *egress*...Is that the only word they teach locksmiths?

Wow, I am impressed!

So now I tell him no way and call BMW roadside, who I would have called in the first place, but I can't get it for free until AAA (who they contract to) comes and tries first.

They, always fail.

Bottom line...

Locksmithing seems to be populated by the most ignorant, smelly, slimy people on the face of the earth.

Reply to
Corrine MacDermott

Stick a spare key in your purse, or tape it to the back of your cell phone ...

Reply to
Beauregard T. Shagnasty

IMO, its BECAUSE AAA will NOT pay a 'decent' pay rate FOR the locksmiths.. in MY area, the daytime unlock rate is $25, and that gets you within like a 5 mile circle, then its plus milage.. AAA wont pay that.. so-you get (sorry to say) the desperate for business locksmiths --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If your BM allows the vehicle to be locked whilst the keys are in the ignition you should be yelling at BM. Doesn't BM supply a spare key, that is credit card size, which you can keep in your purse? Failing that employ a chauffeur

Reply to
old man

Brainless twits with BMW's should call Daddy first.

Reply to
olfart

I'm assuming you are a fair, decent person that has had some bad experiences and not someone looking to tick off locksmiths here for sport.

To make the assumption you did (and post it here the way you did) based on a small number of events is wrong, both logically and statistically.

I've seen my share of 'rough' <fill in the blank> (painters, plumbers, handymen, policemen, etc.) but I've also seen clean, polite, decent ones who do a great job. Same with locksmiths... some are as you say and some are not.

Have you contacted AAA about their problem? I say it is their problem because they are hiring these oafs. If you can document to them what you said here, they might offer you a refund or discount on your AAA coverage.

You (and AAA) get what you pay for. I own my own business and can assure you I'm neither ignorant, smelly, or slimy. I'm quite the opposite. And, I'm sure, are many of the locksmiths all over this country.

Reply to
Ted Swirsky

Ted, she is BS'ing you and the rest of the groups (I am reading this in alt.os.windows-xp)...

I have a BMW 760i and it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock the keys in the car, in the ignition. You can push the door lock buttons all you like but it will not work. Now, if she leaves them on the console or seat, that's a different matter. Also, I don't know how AAA is involved? Maybe it's a geographic thing, but I have called BMW once to fix a flat and I didn't get AAA, I got some local guy who was extremely polite to the point that I gave him a very nice tip, took his card and have referred business his way because of his professionalism.

Sounds like a twisted person to me.

SS

Reply to
Steve Saltzman

Posted to alt.locksmithing only

Corrine MacDermott wrote: <snip troll>

You locksmiths are being trolled by a From address 'entity' or persona which has no posting history and with a crosspost to disparate groups from a free news.aioe.org newsserver which provides no nntp posting host or X-authentication line in the headers.

Such crossposting trolls to those other newsgroups and from that newsserver are common, and some people filter them out on the basis of the newsserver posting host and the crossposting alone.

Reply to
Mike Easter

People who yell at their BMs would be kind of odd. Most people just flush them.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

"Corrine MacDermott" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com trolled in message

---snip the troll---

funny :-) guess ya get what you and AAA pays for ...

Reply to
Key

"Lord Gazwad of Grantham" snipped-for-privacy@my-shit-dont-stink.com trolled in message

---snip the troll---

<ploink>
Reply to
Key

Don't feed the trolls. Killfiles are your friend.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

bingo !!

Reply to
Key

Sounds good to me.

*plonk*
Reply to
chrisv

On or about 27/12/05, Joe Kesselman snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net, the bowlegged grifter and active daffodil-boy who likes exhilarating beef injections with hyenas, and whose partner is a piece with a sloppy c*ck socket, wrote in snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

PLONK ME!!! PLONK ME!!!1!!!

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

|>Ted, she is BS'ing you and the rest of the groups (I am reading this in |>alt.os.windows-xp)...

|>I have a BMW 760i and it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock the keys in the car, in the |>ignition. |>You can push the door lock buttons all you like but it will not work. |>Now, if she leaves them on the console or seat, that's a different matter.

My Mazda does this as well, Push down on the lock and it pops back up if the keys are in the ignition. Had me entertained... I played for a awhile trying to lock it until I figured out what was going on :)

|>Also, I don't know how AAA is involved?

I lock'd my keys in my CRX, called the dealership I bought the car from (a block away) dude show'd up with a long piece of sheet metal slip'd it between the door and frame jerk'd up and it open'd - it opens any car.

Reply to
Trax

I think they should take away her toys until she learns how to play nicely...laptop, cellphone, purse, luggage bag, everything else. Geesh - she doesn't need a chauffeur, she needs a bellhop.

Reply to
Toolman Tim

Reply to
Donald

I can visualize "old man" looking in anger at the bowl, yelling "what took you so long???"

Reply to
SgtMinor

I would think that anyone with at least 1/2 a brain would carry a spare set of keys on them! This would be far cheaper, and a lot less of a waste of time to wait around for the locksmith. Also, carrying a spare key would get rid of the problems in dealing with these characters.

Reply to
JANA