Locksmiths who also sell alarms - Common?

In the past week I have been in several locksmith shops. The had all the usual keys, padlocks, deadbolts and many had a collection of safes or electronic door access systems. When I asked if they did residential alarms, they all said no. A couple referred me to local alarm installers. One said he doesn't refer to alarm installers because he doesn't feel he can judge the quality of their work. None of them referred me to a national alarm company (Brinks, ADT, etc.).

So, my question is: How common is it for a local locksmith (say, one or two stores) to also do alarms? I thought it was common, but now I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Berg

in my state, the 'alarm companies' have an entirely different set of requirements to be able to install alarms..plus the insurance premiums are rather out of sight..or rather the REQUIREMENTS..some localities state the alarm installers must be 'journeymen' electricians, something that you just don't walk in and get a license to do. and again, it is a spaciality item..how many panel boards do you need to keep up on, local code requirements for permits to install AND even have an alarm in a business or a house..permits in each city/county, can also figure into the knowledge.. bottom line you CAN spread yourself too thin.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

In our state, work on alarms require a certain type state alarm license. Work on locks and electronic access systems, require a different type state locksmith license. Maybe that may be the factor ? None of the shops in my area work on alarms.

g'day Scott

Reply to
Key