Best SFIC decoding

I manage a small skating rink and we are looking to rekey. We were able to obtain a large amount of Best SFIC locks of various types; I assume they were removed from somewhere else that was rekeying. I only have the change keys for all of the locks. If I sacrifice one of the padlocks (or any other core) I can decode it and make a control key, but can I glean enough info from the pins to decode the master (or higher) key(s)? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Tim

P.S. What is the "acceptable" practice in use for control keys? Some of our locks are stamped "Y.a", "Y.b", "X.a", "X.b" (where X and Y, and a and b are numbers 1-9) and so on. Would the "Y" locks use the same change key as the "X" locks? I would speculate that some of the X locks may use the same master (or higher) key as some of the Y locks, but have no way of knowing yet.

Reply to
TimInOhio

With a working change key,a nd a core, it is possible to decompile the master key. Without dissembling the lock.

However, I am not permitted to tell you how as this is not a secure forum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since that's a private code, there's no promise that it would be read the same way as anyone else's code... and in fact there are good reasons NOT to follow anyone else's conventions; best practice is actually to make sure the key stampings and lock functions are *not* obviously related to each other.

I would speculate that some of the X

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Like Christopher said; that's not something that would be discussed here (for reasons that are obvious to most reasonable people) because it would be a by-pass method. And even though you may find the information elsewhere on the internet, most reputable locksmiths who post here wouldn't compound the problem by posting that kind of information on an open forum.

If you are a locksmith (even a part-time one) you could join Clearstar or even one of the free locksmith sites and once you've been checked out, you could post questions like that and have them answered (extensively) there, all day long.

If you're not a locksmith, it's a mute point because you wouldn't have (or have access to) the tools you would need to decode the cores and cut the keys anyway.

As far as their key labeling system, that's a new one on me. It's certainly not industry standard.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML