MK confusion

Wish I could tear it all down and redo the whole facility. Someone MK'd a bunch of Titans. Didn't use factory depths. Some key bitting are one step, so it's using micro thin master chips. They jsut want one change key rekeyed, and leave the MK an the rest of the system. Oh, I'm not enjoying this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whoever set up the system used pins too short, so all the keys were jiggle keys. Had to repin all six chambers to get anything to work. What a bunch of work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

then you EXPLAIN in WRITING, the problems with their current system, and potential weaknesses.. and get it SIGNED>. you dont want 'haunts coming back atcha.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

For KW factory keying it is a one step system. .023 per step. Do not set up a change that is less than this.

I worked with a guy that insisted on using Schlage depths with Kwikset spacing anytime he set up a KW system. When I would be working nights and get a call to work on one of these systems I used to cringe.

It took me a while before he told me what he was doing. He refused to believe that he would get more changes using KW factory depths.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Absolutely agree with Shiva, and remember to 'CHARGE' $$$$$$$ accordingly. Remember, the cure for stress related headaches is the sweet aroma of a thick, freshly rolled wad of $100 bills. :-)

Reply to
Steve Paris

ANY time you get into this mess, you can 'accidently' create an incidental master.. and YOU CANT KNOW IT..

but, at the same token, YOU should NOT be responsible for the 'accident'', ESPECIALLY if you got it backed up in a signed 'statement' of the possibilities for an error such as this.

and I been there as well..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If the system is not grandmasterkeyed, and you have all the cuts on the change key different to those on the masterkey you will never create an incidental masterkey. Of course you may select a differ that has already been used but the probability of that being detected is small (and where a written indemnity would come in handy).

Reply to
Peter

also agree with Shiva. in WRITING and SIGNED !

pretty good "stress" relief Steve :-)

Reply to
Key

But there is still a potential problem. If the original designer used the Rotating Constant Method your newly created change key could be operated by existing change keys.

The best approach is to tell the user there are two options; 1. He can pay for the time to decode all the existing keys in the system. 2. You can start a brand new key system and eventually all of his locks can be changed to the new system.

If you create the new system, or decode the exist>

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.