Has anyone else been contacted by the "Set-Aside" program?

I'm just curious if anyone has been contacted by, or even knows about, the Set-Aside program

which they tell me is a way to get more business since your business will be listed with the government so, when any locksmith work is needed, they will go to a special website and/or CD and find the select, few, pre-approved, locksmiths in their area to call. Get paid immediately and charge your own prices, etc. etc.

The call started off sounding like they were from the government but I finally found out they are a third party who collects the data and makes the information available. The lady eventually told me it was $199 a year to obtain the smallest listing. I told her I'd check into it and she said someone would call me back.

When they did call back, I was told the smallest ad was closer to $499 a year. I said I wasn't interested and the guy seemed rude in a can't prove it way. He told me others would be making more money and I should "have a nice life". Hmph. Well thanks, I think.

Has anyone been contacted by them? I am in South Jersey. They may be legit but who knows. I just know I wouldn't have found out much if I didn't interupt their well rehearsed sales talk with lots of questions.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Swirsky

Sounds like scam to me/

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

seems too good to be true.

to get your attention and make it seem plausible.

but whether any customer uses it in preference to the Yellow Pages ...

seems her job is to pass on potentially promising suspects to a more skilled salesperson ...

deliberate? or they cannot get their info to their reps correct.

he is irritated with having to deal with 'trash' like you who are not really interested especially when he must make so many sales a day to pay the rent and eat.

form your own judgement.

any idea where they called from? It is a good chance they called from offshore.

Reply to
Peter

Sounds like a scam. Anything that presses that hard is up to no good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can tell you that this is definitely unecessary. I do a lot of government work and can tell you that you don't need to PAY to register. The registration process is a total pain in the neck, but not something you have to pay for. Once your listed with the government, then you will be contacted if your services are needed.

Jack Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack