Anyone been called for unknown ATM machine servicing?

Has anyone else had cold calls for ATM machine servicing? I've had a few over the months. I just say no but decided to speak to the last guy. He said he was from FCTI in Century City, Ca. A web search found the company but said the products were "Car wash brushes".

He wanted me to drive out to a machine that had stopped working and they would step me through the servicing procedure which involved swiping any credit or debit card through the machine. (Yeah, sure. I'll swipe my card in your unknown machine.) When I told him I didn't have a card he said I could pick the little cam lock and get inside to reconnect the modem or do other checking. I asked what they pay and he asked what I charge. (More internal laughing) He finally said they pay $40 an hour. I told him that was a little low for a 20 mile round trip drive and he said he'd ask his boss if they could get me more money. I kept asking him to send me more information on his company but he never responded to that request.

So, don't tell me not to do it as I already know that. My question is whether others have heard from FCTI or similar companies and if anyone has any more information on FCTI.

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
Ted S.

Never heard of this happening. You got caller ID? The FBI may be interested in that guys number.

Most of the servicing I've seen being done on these machines was done by a security agency (armored vans, etc).

Reply to
Dave Wallen

We have had some ATM calls come through. Most were lock failures/sabotage damage.. But all were willing to give us 1) company info, 2) written authorization, 3) have a rep meet us at the site in person etc... Never had one act the way you are describing.. RED FLAGS all over that one..

Steve

Reply to
Steve

It sounds like they wanted someone to cause the system to make a phone call at a known time so they could trouble shoot it. If they can get you to go out for less than $40, it saves them the cost of sending a real service person. It sounds like they have one of those free standing atm kiosks where they get a cut from every transaction.

From my point of view, not that many red flags (danger or fraud) but many yellow ones (You're being "used" and may not get paid).

Daniel

Reply to
dbs

Don't you think a representaive of the bank who owns the ATM would have a card to run through the machine?

Sounds red to me.

Reply to
Dave Wallen

The ones I'm thinking of aren't usually owned by banks. They are more of a point of sale device, but what they sell is cash. There's not a lot of difference to a layman. The store gets a commission, the atm company keeps most of the fee and the customer gets charged 50 cents to 2 bucks.

It makes sense to call a locksmithif they have too few service people. Locksmiths can follow complex instructions. They are plentiful. They are equipped to handle mechanical problems. They don't need to have the key to open the machine.

Just idle thoughts.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

Your explanation might be plausible if the company checked out or was willing to provide some verification. It doesn't sound like they were at all willing to do that.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Since when did that ever stop you from helping yourself? A convict learning how to pick locks!

Reply to
Dave Wallen

I made the original post and, after reading all your thoughts (which are all very valid), I'm going to agree with Daniel in this case. The guy did say they owned independent machines and he did give me his 800 number to call him back. I think he was just not interested in wasting any more time with me since I was obviously not interested in spending all that time traveling and working for $40.

But, hey... stay wary out there!

Ted

Reply to
Ted S.