Black Chrome

I need a process for putting down a few thousand angstroms of black chrome in a DC sputtering system. Have any of the assembled multitude done this?

Thanks,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Google has a new tool for the propellor-head frustrated by trying to sift actual information from movie reviews, song lyrics, role-playing games, and Usenet discussions.

scholar.google.com "black chrome" sputter

Four hits (out of 12) look useful. Especially the fifth, "What is black chrome."

If only they could put entire article on-line, instead of just abstracts.

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

Thanks, I looked there before posting--and it did improve the rotation rate of my beanie-copter. Lots of stuff on analyzing black chrome, but zilch on how to deposit it--other than "proprietary process" and "evaporating Cr in oxygen". I'm hoping for some leads on what background pressure to use, and so forth. I can probably figure it out eventually, but time on the coater is a bit scarce right now, and I'm not really a thin-film guy.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Really? Based on the abstract, I thought for sure number 5 would have all the process variables.

Well, if I knew some numbers, I'd give them to you. Good luck.

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

Isn't black chrome a mixture of chrome and chrome oxides, normally deposited by plating?

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Yes, but it's also deposited by sputtering, which is what I need to do. If I dunk my wafers in a plating bath, they'll *never* be allowed back in the fab.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I had a close look at #5--but it isn't available from any of the many retrieval services we have here--I wonder if the abstract is just for a talk rather than a paper. All of Driver's other black chrome papers deal with plated films, so I expect that's what he's looking at there too.

Thanks again,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In: Sun II; Proceedings of the Silver Jubilee Congress, Atlanta, Ga., May

28-June 1, 1979. Volume 3. (A80-3340113-44) Elmsford, N.Y., Pergamon Press, Inc., 1979, p. 1887-1891.

I don't even know what a Silver Jubilee Congress is, but it's a conference proceedings, not the sort of thing I'd expect to find on-line. I don't even know where I'd find it in a library, I'd have to ask a librarian. But the librarian would find it for me, or get the article through an inter-library loan. The abstract specifically includes sputter deposition, and the article is four pages long, which is sparse for a typical review article but certainly more meaty than just a paragraph. So I think it would be worth finding if the time that takes would save enough trouble, I don't know what kind of deadline you have The abstract also concludes that black chromes are still poorly characterized due to their varying structures and limited thin film analysis techniques, so if you have to develop your own black chrome films it would be publishable.

Huh. Tooling around back in regular Google,

You can order it on CD-ROM for 60 Euro. If it's for work, that means you're spending someone else's money, right?

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

Phil

You can try to sputter CrOx with a few oxygen partial presure to get a black coating. Or same coating by electrodeposition. Or depoti TiAlN coating with high Aluminum content to have a harder surface and black-anthracite color. regards Vasco

Check also my Forum:

PVD Coatings and Vacuum Technology - Research Forum

International Forum about current problems and solutions in R&D thin films and coatings technology based in vacuum surface treatments (Surface Engineering, Industrial Coatings, Plasma Treatment,PVD and CVD coating technology) Moderator: Vasco Teixeira (Univ. Minho)

Vasco Teixeira

at:

vteixeira