Black Chrome

I need a process for putting down a few thousand angstroms of black chrome in a DC sputtering system. Have any of the assembled multitude
done this?
Thanks,
Phil Hobbs

Google has a new tool for the propellor-head frustrated by trying to sift actual information from movie reviews, song lyrics, role-playing games, and Usenet discussions.
scholar.google.com "black chrome" sputter
Four hits (out of 12) look useful. Especially the fifth, "What is black chrome."
If only they could put entire article on-line, instead of just abstracts.
--
"I'm giving you the chance to look fate in those pretty eyes of hers
and say, 'Step off, bitch. This is my party and you're not invited.'"
Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

Thanks, I looked there before posting--and it did improve the rotation rate of my beanie-copter. Lots of stuff on analyzing black chrome, but zilch on how to deposit it--other than "proprietary process" and "evaporating Cr in oxygen". I'm hoping for some leads on what background pressure to use, and so forth. I can probably figure it out eventually, but time on the coater is a bit scarce right now, and I'm not really a thin-film guy.
Cheers,
Phil Hobbs

Really? Based on the abstract, I thought for sure number 5 would have all the process variables.
Well, if I knew some numbers, I'd give them to you. Good luck.
--
Irony: "Small businesses want relief from the flood of spam clogging their
in-boxes, but they fear a proposed national 'Do Not Spam' registry will
Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

I had a close look at #5--but it isn't available from any of the many retrieval services we have here--I wonder if the abstract is just for a talk rather than a paper. All of Driver's other black chrome papers deal with plated films, so I expect that's what he's looking at there too.
Thanks again,
Phil Hobbs

In: Sun II; Proceedings of the Silver Jubilee Congress, Atlanta, Ga., May 28-June 1, 1979. Volume 3. (A80-3340113-44) Elmsford, N.Y., Pergamon Press, Inc., 1979, p. 1887-1891.
I don't even know what a Silver Jubilee Congress is, but it's a conference proceedings, not the sort of thing I'd expect to find on-line. I don't even know where I'd find it in a library, I'd have to ask a librarian. But the librarian would find it for me, or get the article through an inter-library loan. The abstract specifically includes sputter deposition, and the article is four pages long, which is sparse for a typical review article but certainly more meaty than just a paragraph. So I think it would be worth finding if the time that takes would save enough trouble, I don't know what kind of deadline you have The abstract also concludes that black chromes are still poorly characterized due to their varying structures and limited thin film analysis techniques, so if you have to develop your own black chrome films it would be publishable.
Huh. Tooling around back in regular Google,
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/9a419c09cff9f1f8.html
https://www.ises.org/shortcut.nsf/to/bookshop
You can order it on CD-ROM for 60 Euro. If it's for work, that means you're spending someone else's money, right?
--
"The preferred method of entering a building is to use a tank main gun
round, direct fire artillery round, or TOW, Dragon, or Hellfire missile to
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Isn't black chrome a mixture of chrome and chrome oxides, normally deposited by plating?
Mark Thorson wrote:

Yes, but it's also deposited by sputtering, which is what I need to do. If I dunk my wafers in a plating bath, they'll *never* be allowed back in the fab.
Cheers,
Phil Hobbs
Phil
You can try to sputter CrOx with a few oxygen partial presure to get a black coating. Or same coating by electrodeposition. Or depoti TiAlN coating with high Aluminum content to have a harder surface and black-anthracite color. regards Vasco
Check also my Forum:
International Forum about current problems and solutions in R&D thin films and coatings technology based in vacuum surface treatments (Surface Engineering, Industrial Coatings, Plasma Treatment,PVD and CVD coating technology) Moderator: Vasco Teixeira (Univ. Minho)
Vasco Teixeira http://vteixeira.com.sapo.pt/PVD_coatings.htm Posted at: http://www.groupsrv.com