dying a red ballistic nylon m'cycle jacket black

A friend's "ballistic nylon" motorcycle jacket is the wrong color. There are several sources that alk about dying "nylon" with vinegar
and acid dyes in HOT water.
Is there danger that the dying pricess will cause the jacket material to lose its good abrasive resistance performance ?
We have begun quizzing manufacturers, but I don't expect them to offer much encouragement.
Thanks
Dyeing process should be OK and not harm fabric but you are going to make a god awful mess. The old dye will be retained and new dye will not swamp it. I'm sure you will not like the new color. Frank