Revell USS Yorktown - Black Hull instead of Red?

So it appears that hull red was not always used???

Musicman59
Basicly the brownish red "Anti Fouling" paint was always used - different shipyard different brand, different nuance, but basicly the same. But most ships did have a black line from just above to just below the waterline - typically 1 foot wide.
There are no absolutes, ships may have had all black bottoms, but my guess is that Revell took this black line as an indication for the whole colour.
Squadrons "Essex Class carriers in Action" and "US Carriers in Action part 1" shows only waterline graphics.
Here is a link to Trumpeters Ticonderoga with red bottom:
Claus Gustafsen Denmark
"Musicman59" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@35g2000prp.googlegroups.com...
So it appears that hull red was not always used???

Claus Gustafsen
I just visited the USS New Jersey last week and its beltline (the black stripe) ran from the fully loaded mark (38 ft) to its light load mark (30 ft) on the ship's draft indicator. Think that may be more the norm so no red is exposed when at sea.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
I don't remember red when it was active duty (that's been decades, so take it with a dollop of antifouling red). I have noticed a lot museums painting colors that never were. Not to mention mis identifying aircraft. B-1A/174, also known as A/C #4 is at the SAC museum near Offut in colors it never wore. Not to mention aircraft with flattened tires, and on and on. No doubt the tankers, er targets, can give more examples.
Reply to
frank