How Do These Tamiya Weathering Kits Differ from Dry Brushing?

Tamiya has four sets. Appears to be some kind of pastel consistency. I've always dry brushed. Are these things a better way to go?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Just been using set D on an F15E, to simulate the burnt metal on the afterburner cans and bare metal areas of the rear fuselage. The results look pretty good to me, and it's easy to wipe the whole lot off with a q tip dipped in Tamiya thinner and start again if you make a mess of it. Consistency is between dry oil pastel and eye make up, and you even get a make up type applicator to reinforce the similarity. The big downside is that the finish is very fragile, and really needs some kind of sealing unless you can condition yourself to never touch the parts once you've finished working on them.

There are some movies showing them in use at

you might find useful.

flak monkey

at

which you might find useful.

Reply to
maiesm72

at

> which you might find useful.

Soft or hard plastic? My only experiences with soft plastic involved some Airfix figures and, ahem, painting some of my Marx US Cavalry. Enamels do not give good results. I've finished one 54mm Airfix figure and recommend using acrylics. You can get very good results by blending shades. I'm hoping someday to get back to my Scots Grey horse. It almost mandates blending.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I bought some of the Tamiya stuff and it works great just like the videos show. Got mine from ehobbyland.com and also from the local Walthers dealer caboose hobbies here in Denver. Try it, you'll like it !!

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Particularly to get the color of the urine correct as it flees from the Grande Armée of France while making water upon the ground. :-P

N St. Helena

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Aren't these just chalks ?

Bill

Reply to
William R. Mattil

LOL. Time for some "Freedom Fries" with my burger tonite.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

More like an oil pastel, except they don't repel a clear coat like an oil pastel would.

flak monkey