What is this for?

I am currently painting Tamiya's WWII German soldiers. The part is the 3-magazine holder harness for the MP38-MP-42. There is a small tab on
the side of this magazine holder. What is it and what is it for? I have been snipping them off until realized that it is probably meant to be there.
In article

It's for storing cleaning materials, oil, or tools for the MP.
Mark
--
remove "nospam" in replies!
Perth Western Australia