Extremely Brittle Coatings

Everyone wants a tough flexible coating but what about the opposite.

Does anyone have a list of brittle coatings?

The salt that dries on pumpkin seed shells might be a start in the right direction.

Bret "Wrong Way" Cahill

Reply to
Bret_E_Cahill

Are you thinking of someting like an abradable coating.?

Reply to
d deu

That might not necessarily be brittle. A ceramic might be what I want, although high temp. is not an issue.

. . .

Reply to
Bret_E_Cahill

To do what? Don't ask for a material reccomendation without specifying the application or (if it's proprietary) a reasonably complete list of the desired material properties.

If you don't know where you're going, we can't tell you how to get there.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Yes, for example, a thin layer of plaster on a balloon.

Al

Reply to
alchazz

If abradable certamics are not what you want are you looking for Are you looking for a coating that cracks and flakes off when deformed; to serve a function similar to impact indicator paints?

Reply to
d deu

An electric tractor made out of plaster? Is that the application? I wonder who currently owns the rights to the Trabant brand name?

Reply to
Mark Thorson