ink jet printers in materials science

According to articles in Science News, materials scientists have been playing with ink jet printers since they were invented, using them to
print with materials other than inks, such as plastics or metals in solution.
I'm wondering whether the scientists who were doing this happened to write detailed accounts of the printers they used and the precise procedures they used to modify them. If you know of publications in which they explained all this, I'm interested in knowing about it.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler < snipped-for-privacy@zurich.csail.mit.edu>

I'd check in the patent literature first. Its waay past researcher notebooks, and has become a full-blown industry, so scientists in the private sector are unlikely to be sharing the details of their early work, excpet where they are legally protected. The whole rapid prototyping industry (is based around this technology;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_prototyping
A compiled link page about rapid prototyping; http://home.utah.edu/~asn8200/rapid.html
Some major rapid prototyping companies;
http://www.zcorp.com /
http://www.2objet.com /
http://www.3dsystems.com /
Instead of a prototype, make it a one-off, customized working part;
http://www.xlaform.com /
Rapid prototyping hits the mainstream consumer market via the World of Warcraft MMORPG;
http://www.figureprints.com /
FigurePrints makes deal with Dell Corporation;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvqT4M1zNI

The Rapid Prototyping Journal might have more technical details for you; http://www.emeraldinsight.com/info/journals/rpj/rpj.jsp
Regards, R. David Zopf Bomar Specialties Co.
Thanks very much for your help.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler < snipped-for-privacy@zurich.csail.mit.edu>

No problem,
heres one more link to a FigurePrints article, this one in Desktop Engineering magazine, (because the article is new, and some of the pictures are pretty impressive);
http://www.deskeng.com/articles/aaahgm.htm
Regards, R. David Zopf

<snip lots of good info>
I'm tempted to make one of my own:
reprap.org
I'll probably never get that project started, but it sure looks like a way cool tool to have in my workshop.
--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

I know!! The "garage tinkerer" potential is near-infinite...

Here's another DIY design with a bit broader capabilities, if you go that route;
http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Regards, R. David Zopf

Suggest put inkjet or such into Scirus search engine.
bob