Love-Hate Relationship With Materials Science

I'm having trouble designing anything w/o materials. Is there anyway out of this situation?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

HUH????

Reply to
enigma

Oh my and trouble with Nietzsche too!

Reply to
Tim

Try designing a vacuum.

bob

Reply to
Bob

Design an idea.

Reply to
Radical Hippo

Try going to church they make something out of nothing.

Reply to
mikegordge

Why not go first class . . . design it without a container !

Carl

Bob wrote:

Reply to
cwsachs.dejazzd.com

There is not any way. So, you might as well get over it, grow up, and make friends with materials science. I suspect that you previously had an unfortunate encounter with this subject.

My recommendation is that you make a New Year's resolution to quit posting your whining complaints on this group until after you sit down and read more about the subject.

Mike Ashby has written a couple of excellent books, "Materials Selection in Mechanical Design (1999), and (with Kara Johnson) another less technical book on "Materials and Design" (2001), which is subtitled as The art and science of materials selection in product design.

Pittsburgh Pete

*************

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr

The critical problem of energy storage ultimately always comes down to materials science.

Do we really want the fate of mankind dependent on voodoo and witch craft?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Voodoo? Witchcraft? Horsecrap!

Bret Cahill's attitude is an illustration of Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law that ""Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Materials science and engineering is a roughly fifty-year old subject area. It is not simple, but it is not magic, unless of course you wish to remain ignorant (see R. W. Cahn's book, "The Coming of Materials Science").

Anyone who wishes to learn more about it could do a lot worse than getting and reading the Ashby & Jones books "Engineering Materials 1 (an introduction to their properties and applications)" and "Engineering Materials 2 (an introduction to microstructures, processing and design)".

Ashby's advice on writing is also worth reading, and you can download it for free. See: