Problem with materials

After the latest crash, all my material assignments are corrupted somehow. I've seen two different embodiments of this. The first renders the material completely clear (the part looks like a wireframe). The second simply shows it completely black. The material is 6061 aluminum.

Removing the material, saving and re-attaching it seemed to work. But it proved not to be a reliable fix. I also tried "Save As".

-Martin

2005sp0.1
Reply to
Martin

"2005sp0.1 Try SP01.1, it's much more stable for me. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I'm not going to load a service pack in the middle of a project. Particularly given some of the feedback given here regarding SP1.1. That's just asking for it! :-)

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Service packs are not usually that tricky, since they don't often have backwards compatibility problems. If you run into insoluble problems, just roll back to the previous version.

Jerry Steiger

I just don't have the time to experiment right now. I wish I could. I'd love to see SW crash a little less. Not that it is crashing all the time. Maybe every three or four days. The sad part is that I've seen it enough times that now I know when it will crash. It's almost like the proverbial calm before the storm. It's the way it responds to the last command after crashing, the peculiar hard-drive activity...something, I don't know. But I haven't failed to call it the last few times. Pretty sad if you think about it.

So, is there a way to fix this problem with materials? If I create new parts and assign materials all is good. The issue is with the part that was up when SW crashed. And, the part had been saved prior to the crash, way prior. No new work had been done. I was just spinning it around and taking some measurements when it crashed.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

If you don't want to take the risk and upgrade, at least send the problem in to your solidworks VAR and or directly to SW. Also, if you are having reproducible crashes, document them and send them in using SW RX. It really is the only way to improve the product.

Daniel

Reply to
daniel

I'm keeping them busy. They've been working on a sheetmetal problem for me for nearly two weeks now. No solution yet.

I'll try. Most of the time you just want to get going with the work as soon as possible. There's a well-known saying in the US that goes something like: "When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember you're there to drain the swamp."

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Yikes! I pasted that from a website without much thought and just noticed the "you're". No comment, other than to say: I didn't do it! :-(

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Hmm, I don't see the problem - looks correct to me. What do you disagree with?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Just to be sure I looked it up in my old Webster's - it's there. It's nice to see someone else concerned about proper grammar. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Reply to
Michael

Learn something new every day!

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

Getting back on topic...how do I get my materials to behave again? Are there any known fixes?

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

You're kidding, right?

Couldn't resist...

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That's nothing. You should see the trouble that they're having over there with their usage of the words "they're, there and their"!

Jerry Steiger