Mercury Danger

Would a tightly sealed 10 pound bottle of mercury emit dangerous levels of mercury vapor if stored at room temperature?

Thanks.

Reply to
Warren Mason

The vapor pressure of mercury is quite low and in a sealed vessel should not pose a hazard at room temperature. The vapor pressure of mercury is 0.0017 torr at 25 oC as opposed to that of water, which is

23.8 torr at 25 oC. Just don't ingest the stuff. Years ago students used to play with mercury in their hands in lab classes without and adverse effects. It was that professor at Dartmouth that killed herself with dimethyl mercury that has everyone so afraid of mercury. Personally my mouth is full of the stuff in my fillings, but I'll let you know if I go crazy down the line.
Reply to
Ceraboy

Thank you for your responses. You answered my question perfectly.

W.

Reply to
Warren Mason