The vapor pressure of mercury is quite low and in a sealed vessel
should not pose a hazard at room temperature. The vapor pressure of
mercury is 0.0017 torr at 25 oC as opposed to that of water, which is
23.8 torr at 25 oC. Just don't ingest the stuff. Years ago students
used to play with mercury in their hands in lab classes without and
adverse effects. It was that professor at Dartmouth that killed
herself with dimethyl mercury that has everyone so afraid of mercury.
Personally my mouth is full of the stuff in my fillings, but I'll let
you know if I go crazy down the line.
Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.