3D software for young students?

Doing my small part for education today, tomorrow and Friday I'm showing kids in 5th grade Math classes what an engineer can do with 3D software (SolidWorks specifically). I should have anticipated that some would be interested enough to want to thrash around with some 3D applications. I don't really know what to recommend in the way of freeware that won't frustrate a kid, and I don't know whether anyone knows of low-cost student-edition software worthy of trying to obtain for late-elementary school or middle school computer labs . . . or even for parents to buy for home. I personally don't think SolidWorks is appropriate, although it's likely to be as user-friendly as most things out there and more user-friendly than much of it. I figure Inventor and Solid Edge to be about the same story, and not even the student-editions (as far as I know) are cheap enough for most youngsters. Has anybody played around with low-end stuff that's even worth looking at? I know about Rhino3D and SketchUp. Does Alibre have a student edition offering? What about Think3 (or whatever used to be Think3)? What else, and what's it like?

TIA Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

I think Maya may be of more interest to kids than a parametric modeler. The "Personal Learning Edition" is available free. I'm not sure what the limitations are, but my son, who's not much for R'ingTFM, was doing some pretty slick video game type animation with it last summer.

I agree that Solidworks/Solid Edge/Inventor et al will just frustrate most any 5th grader.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Sporkman

Maya is pretty widely used for architectural modeling and rendering, which is arguably real world technology - at least my daughter the architect would likely argue so.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Dear Ned Simmons:

I tend to agree. What's more, "virtual world stuff, including games" incorporates more science and technology with every iteration. The physics becomes more and more realistic, and needs to be described to get reasonable output (maybe not with Maya).

If one wants free, and one wants 3D, maybe one needs to start with something that will keep the kids interested...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" wrote in message news:C_kxf.8713$jR.7209@fed1read01...

What about "Cosmic Blobs"? I think that is what it is called. Last I heard it was free and was from Solidworks, aimed at kids. Maybe google for it?

Reply to
ms