Buckling load

Hi,

I'm interested in using the energy-method (rayleigh-quotient) for estimating buckling forces of 1d beams. Is this method valid in all situations, or are there conditions of aplicabillity ?

Greetings, Uwe

Reply to
Uwe Schmitt

I don't think there are any buckling methods that are valid in all situations.

At the bare minimum, any buckling method calculation is only valid when:

-the average compressive stress at buckling is less than the yield stress

-the column cross section is not subject to local crippling

-the column is slender enough that geometric (other than x-section) effects don't apply

-the column is in pure compression

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson