Engineering formulas source on web or in book

Hi,

The question is as per the title : I'm designing a cnc router and want to find a source of engineering formulas for bending in beams and other mechanalia. In lieu of a trip up to Foyles I'm interested to hear about people's favourite books or (preferable) websites with this orientation ?

Many thanks,

Reply to
Boo

for noddy stuff I usuall start at:

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I prefer books, but there's loads of stuff on the internet if you use Google carefully.

"Marks Standard Handbook for Engineers", by Marks, or "Mechanical Engineers' Handbook, by Theodore Baumeister are excellent volumes to have around, and if you have "Machinery's Handbook" on the shelf as well, you wouldn't go far wrong. Both are very heavy, the Baumeister book is double the volume of machinery's Handbook!

Peter

Prepair Ltd

RoyMech.co.uk has a range of useful stuff. By the way, do all the physicists know that Kaye and Laby is "free" on the NPL web site.

Reply to
Newshound

All the information you need will be in Kempes Engineers Yearbook. However - anyone know if they still publish this? I treated myself to one back in 1994, but a quick google reveals bugger all about it now...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks to all for the useful websites and book selections.

I couldn't find Kemps yearbooks anymore either - I meant to buy a set abo= ut 10=20 years ago but obviously didn't get round to it in time :-(

Amazon has Marks "Standard Handbook for Engineers" at nearly =A385 so I'l= l have to=20 make the trek up to Foyles for a look-see before buying that. I did mana= ge to=20 find a copy of Machinery's Handbook at the local Uni library today and I = will=20 probably spring for that from J&L (large print version ;-). It's very=20 comprehensive on the manufacturing side and looks like a useful volume to= have=20 to hand.

Thanks again,

--=20 Boo

Reply to
Boo

There always seem to be Machinery's Handbooks for sale on ebay, I think I paid a tenner for mine but they frequently go for 30 quid or more.

Reply to
Anzaniste

Wrong place.

On the web there are copies at as little as $US30 plus postage from overseas sellers. You need to look around, Amazon is not the cheapest or best for secondhand or new books, although they like to think they are.

There is one UK copy:

Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers Avallone, Eugene A./ Baumeister, Theodor Bookseller: Books2Anywhere.com (Fairford, GLO, United Kingdom) Price: US$ 120.77 Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom: US$ 5.50

Book Description: McGraw-Hill 1/1/, 1999. Hardback New Book from UK. Check out our low worldwide delivery costs! Please note: we only take orders through ABE - NOT DIRECT!. Bookseller Inventory # IB-007134411X

If you look further you will probably better those prices.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

On 27 Feb 2007 16:48:00 -0800, "Anzaniste"

I downloaded a copy of machinery's handbook (in pdf) from the internet a while ago, but can' remember where from. It's OK, but there are better books around. I prefer Kempes, which is often for sale on ebay. I keep meaning to buy a more recent copy, as the one I have is a 1923 edition. I'd reccomend a copy of newnes engineers pocket book if you come across one, covers most things. Older ones are obviously imperial, but there were metric versions as well (just checked, and mine seems to be a 1941edition).

Regards Kevin

PS just for the record I'm quite young actually, I just tend to buy secondhand books!

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin writes

Kevin,

How long did that take, and how many sheets of A4 ? What a marathon!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome